Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging Over a Wide Area Network using dte dce cable

ts015
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I have 2 Cisco routers connected via DTE-DCE cable for simulating T1 connection but both serial ports do not seem to be working. Could someone please help check my configuration below. I am trying to ping computer B at the Ethernet port of router B from computer A at the Ethernet port of router A.

Router A as DCERouter B as DTE
interface fastethernet0/0interface fastethernet0/0
ip address 192.168.1.100 255.255.255.0ip address 192.168.1.200 255.255.255.0
no shutdownno shutdown
bridge-group 1bridge-group 1
exitexit

interface serial 0/0/0interface serial 0/0/0
ip address 128.0.1.10 255.255.255.0ip address 128.0.1.20 255.255.255.0

clock rate 64000

no shutdown 

bandwidth 64

bridge-group 1 
no shutdownbridge 1 protocol ieee 
bridge-group 1exit 
bridge 1 protocol ieee 
exit 

Also, both serial ports on router A and B are down in the status, I think I may have missed something to bring it up.

If DTE-DCE cable is replaced by T1, do I still need to put clock rate and bandwidth on router A?

Thank you very much.

10 Replies 10

Peter Marshall
Level 1
Level 1

This article covers the topic fundamentals:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/20426

As for this, question, "If DTE-DCE cable is replaced by T1, do I still need to put clock rate and bandwidth on router A?"

If you have T1 cards, you'll need a T1 crossover cable. This article seems to cover the T1 conversation:

https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/4-port-hwic-t1-e1-and-multilink-config-for-2911-router/td-p/2055480?dtid=osscdc000283

Alan Ng'ethe
Level 3
Level 3

A different way of bridging that has worked for me in the past is to bridge the Ethernet traffic over a GRE tunnel. Rather than have IP addresses on the LAN interfaces, we just have them as part of bridge group 1.
I have used a tunnel with mode gre ip with successful results. In your case this would look something like the below;

Router A as DCE
interface fastethernet0/0
no ip address
no shutdown
bridge-group 1
bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled
exit

interface serial 0/0/0
ip address 128.0.1.10 255.255.255.0
clock rate 64000
bandwidth 64
no shutdown
exit

interface Tunnel0
 description GRE tunnel to RTR B
 no ip address
 tunnel source serial 0/0/0
 tunnel destination 128.0.1.20
 bridge-group 1
 bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled

Below commands in global configuration

bridge 1 protocol ieee
bridge irb

The router B config would be a mirror of router A config. Perhaps that is worth a try to see whether the line protocol will come up on the serial interfaces.

Also, there's a gotcha. when you add the bridge-group 1 and bridge-group 1 spanning-disabled commands to the tunnel you may receive a warning '% This command is an unreleased and unsupported feature', but it will still work.

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.

Hi Alan Ng'ethe,

Thanks for your help. The serial port shows down in status after following your configuration, any other clue?

Thank you.

Hi @ts015,

Have you confirmed which end of the cable is the DCE and DTE by running show controllers serial 0/0/0 to see which router has the DTE or DCE end of the cable attached? Can you do so (again) and paste the output here?

Please also include the output of show ip interface brief

This appears to be a physical layer issue.

Thanks.

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.

Hi Alan Ng'ethe,

Yes, I just found out that my cable had some problems. Everything works after changing the cable.....

However, do you know if clock rate is required when T1 connection is deployed.

Thank you very much.

Hi @ts015,

This article by Cisco doesn't seem to suggest so as the clock rate command isn't among the required tasks;

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/routers/ncs4200/configuration/guide/tdm/16-8-1/b-tdm-t1-e1-xe-16-8-1-ncs4200.html#con_1072390

You can also use the hyperlink provided in the earlier responses for more examples.

Remember to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Hi Alan Ng'ethe,

Do you know what else do I need to configure the routers so that I can ping the Ethernet port in switch B from computer A?

Computer A: 192.168.1.101
Ethernet@router A: 192.168.1.100
Serial@router A: 128.0.1.10
Serial@router B: 128.0.1.20
Ethernet@router B: 192.168.1.200
Computer B: 192.168.1.201

I can now ping the computer B from computer A but not able to ping 192.168.1.200 from 192.168.1.101. Could you please help?

Thank you.

Hi @ts015,

Could you upload the all configurations from both routers? Save to text files, then upload here.

Thanks

Hi Alan Ng'ethe,

OK, let me upload it here.

Hi @ts015,

Thanks for the configuration. After simulating this I was not able to make the router LAN interfaces ping each other, and neither could either PC ping the LAN interface of the remote router. I do not have an idea why this is the case at this point, but I do encourage you to read through the following articles and see whether you may be able to arrive at a reason why this does not work.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/explanation-about-bridge-group/td-p/772614

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/bridge-mode-over-t1-even-possible/td-p/1259289

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ibm-technologies/source-route-transparent-srt-bridging/10676-37.html#ex7

And as mentioned by veteran Richard Burts and others, while it is certainly POSSIBLE to configure bridging to link 2 LANs over a serial link, it is generally not advised to do so.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card