Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging routed ethernet ports to L2 switchports on a 2801

it
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone!

I have a Cisco 2801 with a 4 port Layer2 switch card installed (HWIC-4ESW).

How do I bridge Ethernet0/1 to the 4ESW so if you were to plug a computer into the 4ESW, it would be on the same network as Eth0/1?  Please see my config below:

interface FastEthernet0/1

description Internal Interface

ip address 10.1.2.1 255.255.0.0

ip virtual-reassembly

load-interval 30

duplex auto

speed 100

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/0

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/1

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/2

!

interface FastEthernet0/1/3

!

interface Vlan1

no ip address

!

Ideas?  Thanks!

2 Replies 2

damige1985
Level 1
Level 1

U could remove the ip from the fa0/1 interface and put it on interface vlan1.
This would make the ip reachable from all the ethernet card ports. Use the fa0/0 or 0/1 as "uplink" ports.

not so reccomended, but could work, (incase you REALLY need the 5th port):
Im not 100%sure if you can use the bvi on the ethernet card. If this is possible then add the ethernet interfaces to the bvi.
If you dont need to switch between the router interface and the ethernet card (unlikely, but could be possible if you only use the port as management) you may be able to use ip unnumbered on the fa0/1 though this is a "funky" solution.

hope this helps

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I agree move the current address off the f0/1  interface and put it under the vlan1 interface then  all 4 ports of the hwic can be in that subnet.   Doesnt have to be vlan 1 , you can make it whatever vlan you want .  create the vlan in the vlan data base then create the corresponding SVI for that vlan and assign the ports.   Just off the top of my head I think bridging isnt supported on the hwic.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card