cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Broadcast storm in Multicast devices using network ?

MrBeginner
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

I have the one network . this network enable igmp snooping,quirer only. I am not doing multicast routing.

i am using /23 range. All devices are using multcast traffic.I would like to know Broadcast storm can be in that kind of network ? If i using /23 ,my network performance will be impact ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

Broadcast storm is a problem you can see on the network in case you have a loop.  And on this case, the size of the network can increase the problem. If you design carefully your network and keep it loop free, /23 is not a problem. I´ve seen /22 working fine. But, for good practice, /24 is better when possible.

View solution in original post

Storms are possibly occurs if you have misconfigured STP/disabled STP/Cable Loops/Hub connections , etc. you need to be careful to check STP process, avoid cable loops. network size can affect the performance when it becomes big. better if you have smaller L3 segments to avoid unwanted broadcasts. also configure storm control parameters which matches to your requirement's broadcast and multicast rates.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi

Broadcast storm is a problem you can see on the network in case you have a loop.  And on this case, the size of the network can increase the problem. If you design carefully your network and keep it loop free, /23 is not a problem. I´ve seen /22 working fine. But, for good practice, /24 is better when possible.

Storms are possibly occurs if you have misconfigured STP/disabled STP/Cable Loops/Hub connections , etc. you need to be careful to check STP process, avoid cable loops. network size can affect the performance when it becomes big. better if you have smaller L3 segments to avoid unwanted broadcasts. also configure storm control parameters which matches to your requirement's broadcast and multicast rates.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card