Views
Helpful
Replies

C6500 Storm control - Different level for Broadcast & Multicast

parisdooz12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we configured broadcast storm control on our C6500. We would like now to add multicast storm control, but with another value (bigger) than for broadcast.

The problem is when I configure multicast level, it changes automatically the value for broadcast.

Is it a way to avoid that?

Regards.

D.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

That is a normal behavior.  If you configure broadcast at 5% and than later configure multicast at 7%, the router will change the broadcast to 7%.

have a look at this example:

This example shows how the traffic storm control level configured for one mode affects all other modes that are already configured on the Gigabit Ethernet interface 4/10:

Router# show run inter gig4/10

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 176 bytes

!

Router# interface GigabitEthernet4/10

Router# switchport 

Router# switchport mode access

Router# storm-control broadcast level 0.5

Router# storm-control multicast level 0.5

Router# spanning-tree portfast edge 

Router# end

Router# configure terminal

Router(config)# interface gigabitethernet 4/10 

Router(config-if)# storm-control unicast level 0.7 

Router(config-if)# end

Router# show interfaces gig4/10 counters storm-control

Port UcastSupp % McastSupp % BcastSupp % TotalSuppDiscards 

Gi4/10 00.70 00.70 00.70 0 

Router#

config guide:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/storm.html

HTH

This behavior is not really nice as broadcast traffic is normally less important that multicast.

If I have, let's say, video on my network, I would like to have a limit of 50 Mbps for multicast.

Beside that, I want my have a broadcast limit of  5Mbps, to protect my CPU.

Is there a solution?

Hi! This thread is quite old, but maybe somebody will still read it. As you can see from the output, the same value applies to UNICAST traffic also, and that's a problem! This is an obvious bug. Is there any solution to it? Best regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: