cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C9300 switch reset to factory

NetAdminMBC
Level 1
Level 1

So, got a brand-spankin' new Catalyst 9300.  Racked it up, connected to console port with PuTTY, booted the switch.  Went through the basic configuration script.  When it was done, I tried to enter enable mode and found I couldn't - evidently, I fat-fingered the password. 

I don't care about the config that's on there now- it's easily re-creatable.  I'd like to erase the startup config and start over, but I can't seem to get there.  Is there a procedure document somewhere that will tell me?  I vaguely remember, with older switches, breaking into the power up routines and erasing the config from flash.  Is that still possible?

18 Replies 18

Hi NetAdminMBC,

Power cycle the switch. Immediatly press and hold the Mode button. Hold the button till the Status LED will go amber. Then on the console you should be in Boot Loader.
Switch:

Add the following variables to ignore the startup configuration.
Switch: SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=1

Boot the switch.
Switch: boot

Once the switch has booted you can copy the saved config back into the running config.
Switch# copy start runn

Next set your password(s). Remove the variables we set in Boot Loader.
Switch# no system ignore startupconfig switch all

Save your new config.
Switch# copy runn start

In this way, you don't have to reconfigure the switch. The only password will reset.

Spooster IT Services Team

Thanks to all.  I tried the "hold the mode button" process and it didn't work - switch booted as normal.

I cabled gig0/0 (the mgmt-vrf interface) to a laptop and telnetted for the hell of it  - through telnet, it took what I knew to be the enable password (when i had entered the enable password in a console session, it rejected it and I assume wanted the enable secret password).  I removed the enable secret and now i can elevate a telnet session with the enable password.

Hello,

I did the process, but I never saw the ambar light.
I tried to press the butoon more than 1 minute.

Could you help, please?

I found a solution here: https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/catalyst-9300-password-recovery/m-p/3675832/highlight/true#M445273
"
Pressing and holding the mode button does nothing for me, i have read other threads and the solution that has worked for me is after power cycling the switch just start pressing the mode button multiple times until you see "switch:"
"

Thanks

Holding the Mode button doesn't work.  You need to just press and release during boot until switch: prompt shows up.

power on then keep pressing the bottom till you get switch : on ur screen

@AhmedSaeed50961 wrote:
power on then keep pressing the bottom till you get switch : on ur screen

That might work for classic IOS but for 9300 that is not going to work.  

1. Do not touch the Mode button.
  2. Boot up the Catalyst 9300 and pay close attention to the console.  Once the line "Last reset cause: SoftwareReload" appears, press the Mode button 3 times.  

This stage of the config needs to be done from configuration mode

Next set your password(s). Remove the variables we set in Boot Loader.
Switch(config)# no system ignore startupconfig switch all

I held down the mode button but that didn't work. What works is to press the mode button repeatedly.

Tunde Olubiyi

The above procedures to get to ROMMON will NOT work! Here is EXACTLY what to do to make it work:

1- Connect the power cord to your switch (don't press anything yet).

2- As soon as the "System LED blinks rapidly" press and release the Mode button 2-3 times. The switch enters the ROMMON  mode.

Voila - Simple!

I cannot get this method to work at all. No matter how many times or how long I press the mode button after a power cycle, the switch still boots up completely. I was able to put in "system ignore startupconfig switch all" in the regular configuration menu, and rebooted, but it seems that only reset my mgmt IP address and the host name, all the VLANs and it looks like some other configuration I did previous are still there?! I just want to set this thing back to actual factory defaults. 

Great Helpful Thank You

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card