cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I create a port channel to two switches that are not stacked?

tdennehy
Level 1
Level 1

Two switches, not stacked, but connected together via 802.1q trunk.

Server with four NICs, capable of trunking and LACP.

Can the switches be setup to have an etherchannel between the two switches and the server?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

In short NO

You would need to connect your server to only ONE switch if you want all 4 nics in the same TEAM.

You could use 2 TEAMS and put 2 nics in each forming a 2 port etherchannel to each switch

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No you can't.

If the switches do not support MEC (Multichassis Etherchannel) then you cannot spread an etherchannel across different switches.

Stacked switches, 4500/6500 running VSS, Nexus with vPC all support MEC.

Jon

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

In short NO

You would need to connect your server to only ONE switch if you want all 4 nics in the same TEAM.

You could use 2 TEAMS and put 2 nics in each forming a 2 port etherchannel to each switch

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Thanks for the sanity check.  That is exactly what we thought.

Carlosperez1601
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same situation. Two switches 4500 connected together via 802.1 trunk.

I have a server with 4 NICs capable of LACP. 

We connected 2 NICs to one Switch and the other 2 NICs to the other Switch. The interfaces of the switch are in access mode in a VLAN. The 4 NICs are configure with an IP address corresponding to that vlan segment. 

Can this generate a layer 2 loop in the network?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: