cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i do "copy flash tftp" on a live production router

bsciarra1
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning, i need a copy of ios to replace the ios on a corrupted router. 

Can i do a "copy flash tftp" and download the good ios from a live production router without effecting functionality of that router?

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can i do a "copy flash tftp" and download the good ios from a live production router without effecting functionality of that router?

Yes you can but why?

The best possible way is to download the IOS from the Cisco website.  This way you can compare the MD5 hash value of the file you've completed download against the value from the Cisco website.

Besides, what are you trying to do again?

1.  Copy the IOS from the router to a TFTP server;

2.  Copy the IOS from the TFTP server to the other router.

Uhhhhh ... why don't you just make your router a TFTP server and copy the IOS from one router to another.

I will try but i don't think my cisco account allows access to download ios images

If you can't, then make your source router a TFTP server using the command "tftp flash:filename.extension" and copy the IOS direct.  No need to use an intermediate TFTP.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Yes you can.  (You can also use other copy protocols, such a FTP and RCP).

Will there be impact on the production device?  Yes, it will impact the device's CPU, but usually not in a way that's significant to production traffic forwarding.

As Leo mentions, you can set up the router to also be a TFTP server (as noted by Leo), but if you do copy the IOS off a production box, you'll have another copy of it stored elsewhere.

Depending on the router's involved, you might also have the option to copy to external flash media such as USB.

bsciarra1
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you.  As it turns out, i do have access to download ios images. 

I was able to download the same flash i have on all my other routers, but i suspect there is something wrong with my flash - as it says insuffcient storage on flash.

And when i boot my router it takes me to a "rommon" prompt and tells me "compact flash not present"

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card