cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can i do stack switch with StackWise cable after switch on production with different configuration ?

Dear All

I would like to ask about Stack cisco 9200 with  StackWise cable.
if I install switch 9200 on production  2 unit with different configuration 

if i would lilke to so stack both switch

My question before i connect stackwise  i should factory configuration switch before connect stackwise cable.

or i can connect stackwise cable and can reconfiguration on switch.

thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
On the switch you wish to be the master of the stack, you should provision it first for the second switch and then pre-configure those provisioned ports on the master switch the same as the current standalone second switch switchports.

On the second switch, erase its configuration, shut it down, connect the stackwise cables between both switches and power the second switch backup, At that time both switches will become part of a stack.

Example
Switch 1 < master>
conf t
switch 1 priority 15
switch 2 provision WS-xxxxxx < switch type>

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The stack master will always overwrite the config of the new switch member, with our without config (provided the new switch member/members are installed CORRECTLY).

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you do not set which one is Master with Priority (also switch number) the one elect as stack master wins the configuration will be replicated all slave or members

example :

2 Switches have different configuration

Switch 1 and Switch 2 Powered on - the one that comes first online will be master.

To remediate this - always suggest making priority and switch numbers for easy to identify and not to become master.( by saying that if only 1 device alone become master anyway)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello
On the switch you wish to be the master of the stack, you should provision it first for the second switch and then pre-configure those provisioned ports on the master switch the same as the current standalone second switch switchports.

On the second switch, erase its configuration, shut it down, connect the stackwise cables between both switches and power the second switch backup, At that time both switches will become part of a stack.

Example
Switch 1 < master>
conf t
switch 1 priority 15
switch 2 provision WS-xxxxxx < switch type>

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card