Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I use a CISCO857W as a simple bridge

antonical
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am an IOS beginner so please be gentle.

I need to replace an ADSL modem and have a spare 857W. Can I use this to act as a simple bridge between the ADSL PPPoA connection and the FW WAN port?

So:

[  CISCO 857W  ]         

ISP - PPPoA - BRIDGE - FW WAN

I have a block of Public IP's so the PPPoA Dialer 0 connection would get x.x.x.185/29 I would like to bridge this directly to the FW WAN port and set that to x.x.x.185/29 with a gateway of x.x.x.186/32.

Currently I am using it in router mode with no NAT or FW and am losing a Public IP as I need to set the FW WAN as x.x.x.186 with a GW of x.x.x.185 I am setting BVI 1 as x.x.x.185/29 and Dialer0 as IP Unnumbered BVI 1.

Is this possible.

Many thanks, this is my first (hopefully not my last) post.

Cheers

Tony

1 Reply 1

jurodri3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mr. Smith,

Thank you for posting, unfortunately the Cisco Support community is only dedicate to Small business products and does not support CLI configuration.

And the 857W is not considered as an Small business device.

In order to get an accurate and quick answer I recommend you to contact our Cisco support center.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html.

Diego Rodriguez

Cisco network engineer

Thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card