cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you broadcast the same default gateway on two cisco HSRP linked routers

Colin Craig
Level 1
Level 1

We run a simple eigrp network with one default gateway (redistribute static routes on) and one firewall.

In the coming months we are adding a second DC and will be using HSRP to span some networks, Along with some 3rd party network equipment.

My question is this:

Can both routers redistribute the same static route for the default gateway? This has never been a concern of mine because if I lost my default gateway we lost everything any way.

With the new design all internal traffic can be rerouted through the second site. But if the router that advertises the GW goes down then so would the information on how to get to our internet facing fw. Thanks for the input.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Colin

It's not clear what your actual topology is.

The general answer to your question is yes multiple routers can advertise the same route and the one used will be the one with the best metric assuming they are both EIGRP routes.

If they have equal metrics then both will be used.

But it's really not clear what you are trying to do.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Colin

It's not clear what your actual topology is.

The general answer to your question is yes multiple routers can advertise the same route and the one used will be the one with the best metric assuming they are both EIGRP routes.

If they have equal metrics then both will be used.

But it's really not clear what you are trying to do.

Jon

Thanks, I know its vague on the topology, mainly because we are still working out the design with brocade. But I'm sure it will work too.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card