cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot ping a new 2950

scarboroughbc
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed a new 2950 switch, connected to a 6509 with GBIC's.

I cannot ping the 2950, it is on the same subnet as the 6509. If I run 'sh cdp n 3/9 detail' on the 6509 it gives me details of the 2950. If I run the same command on the 2950 it gives me details of the 6509, including the 2950's IP address, but a ping gets no replies. Both are on vlan 1.

Mike

22 Replies 22

HI,

I guess int VLAN 1 on C2950 is in Shutdown state.

Do the following steps to resolve this

on C2950

Switch2950# config terminal

Switch2950(cinfig)# int vlan 1

Switch2950(cinfig)#no shut

Switch2950(cinfig)#end

Switch2950#write mem

and now try it. When you configure a brand new switch you need to bring the Int VLAN 1 up stated as above.

Hope this helps

Shaheen

Hi Shaheen

Tried that, no change.

The only difference that I can see between this switch and a live switch is the live one is in vlan 1, the test one is a vlan trunk.

If I run 'sh vlan bri gig 0/1' is shown as a port on vlan 1.

If I run sh vlan name default gig 0/1 does not appear in the list of ports.

On 'sh int gig 0/1 summ' TXBS, TXPS and TRTL are all zero, RXBS and RXPS increase in value.

Mike

Mike, I had a similar issue last week with a 2960 to a 4507. Typoed the VTP password.

If you haven't checked the vtp password, do a 'sh vtp password' and make sure they match.

Sheila

Lets take a step further

Lets Say Switch A is live and Switch B is a test Switch...

ensure int Valn 1 has ip address from the same range on both switches. (i.e 172.30.1.1/24 and 172.30.1.2/24) for example

select a port on Switch A that you will use to connect to Switch B and apply follwoing configs

int FA0/1

switchport access vlan 1

switch mode trunk

Now ensure Int VLAn 1 o Switch B is not in shutdown.

Choose a port say FA0/1

and apply same config as Switch A. Use a crossover or Fibre crossed patch lead to connect both switches together.

give 2 minutes and you should be able to ping each other.

ensure trunk encapsulation is same if both switches are not C2950 models)

You should also be able to connect your pc to one of the port on your test switch and ensure pc has ip from the same range as in vlan 1 and port is assigned tto vlan 1. you should be able to ping both switches. Be carefull if you have more than 1 vlan on your production.

hope this helps !!!

If you still have a problem then post the configs from both switches here and we will be able to help you. remember to remove passwords and confidential info before posting configs here.

Regards

Shaheen

Hi Shaheen

Taking switch A as live and switch B as test.

Switch A is in blade 3 on the 6509.

I unplugged the gbic from switch A gig 0/1 and plugged it into gig 0/1 on switch B.

I could not ping the 6509.

I plugged the gbic on switch B into gig 0/2 on switch A, I could then ping the 6509.

I have attached the configs of the 6509 and switch B.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Further to above, in desperation I copied the OS and running config from a live 2950.

The results are the same. Connected to the 6509 it cannot see the network, connected to gig 0/2 of a 2950 it can see the network.

Mike

Hi saw you post and the configuration on 2950... it shows....

Interface: GigabitEthernet0/1, Port ID (outgoing port): 3/5

here it shows g0/1 is connected to g3/5 and the configuration of 3/5 in 6509 is not configured...... and also g0/1 is also not configured....

please let me know if i am correct and please rate all posts.... :)

Problem solved by adding following to gig port

switchport mode access

Do not understand why this should be, but swich can now be used.

Mike

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card