cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Remove Banner MOTD (Cisco 4451)

Adam Ayoub
Level 1
Level 1

Good day. I am attempting to remove my motd banner from our cisco 4451 to no avail. I've tried doing a no banner motd in conf t multiple times and it doesn't remove it even though the router accepts the command. I am not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that, when I do a sh run, "banner motd" is there but without the delimeter after it. The delimeter is there after the actual motd:

banner motd

"WELCOME TO BLAH BLAH"

^C

On our other routers, it is:

banner motd ^C

"WELCOME TO BLAH BLAH"

^C

Is it a bug?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Julio, thank you for your reply. I have tried what you suggested, but it did not work.

In fact, I noticed that when I reloaded, the banner was still there and the banner motd line was also displayed before it. I know it is a minor thing, but it is really bugging me. :)

Just for fun, I tried to add another banner motd with a delimeter and it added a new motd in addition to the first one. That one I can delete no problem. It's making me think that it's related to the delimeter.

EDIT:

I just figured it out and it is kind of silly. The person who did the banner login was pasting from another router and didn't put the delimeter after the end of banner login. He pasted the banner motd right after it. VERY silly. :)

Thanks for your help anyway.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi

It could be a bug, you only need the command: no banner motd in order to remove it. If it is possible, try to remove it, write the config and then reboot the router. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi Julio, thank you for your reply. I have tried what you suggested, but it did not work.

In fact, I noticed that when I reloaded, the banner was still there and the banner motd line was also displayed before it. I know it is a minor thing, but it is really bugging me. :)

Just for fun, I tried to add another banner motd with a delimeter and it added a new motd in addition to the first one. That one I can delete no problem. It's making me think that it's related to the delimeter.

EDIT:

I just figured it out and it is kind of silly. The person who did the banner login was pasting from another router and didn't put the delimeter after the end of banner login. He pasted the banner motd right after it. VERY silly. :)

Thanks for your help anyway.

djay_cdxi
Level 1
Level 1

I just figured this out - Issue the no banner login command and it should work. 

switch(config)#no banner login

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card