Views
Helpful
Replies

CAT 3750 and IP service License

l.buschi
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I have a stack with 7 Catalyst 3750 both 3750G and 3750X.

All my catalyst are with IP base License but I need some feature from IP service License.

Do I have to upgrade all my switches or may I upgrade to an IP Service licenze only 1 (or 2 for fault tolerance) switches?

Thanks

Johnny

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Johnny,

switches can have mixed feature sets (altough they cannot have major software release mismatches); however if your master goes down and a switch with IP base becomes master you'll lose all the new features. Therefore redundancy must be planned accurately.

Also with mixed feature sets you lose lots of automation in upgrade procedures (you need to manually upgrade the switches or else you will infringe the license agreement - provided that the system lets you automatically upgrade the stack).

Riccardo

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Johnny,

switches can have mixed feature sets (altough they cannot have major software release mismatches); however if your master goes down and a switch with IP base becomes master you'll lose all the new features. Therefore redundancy must be planned accurately.

Also with mixed feature sets you lose lots of automation in upgrade procedures (you need to manually upgrade the switches or else you will infringe the license agreement - provided that the system lets you automatically upgrade the stack).

Riccardo

Arumugam Muthaiah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Johnny,

The Cisco Catalyst 3K family of switches supports the following three feature sets depending on the specific model of switch:

• LAN Base: Enterprise access Layer 2 switching features
  • IP Base: Enterprise access Layer 3 switching features
  • IP Services: Advanced Layer 3 switching (IPv4 and IPv6) features

Suggestion:

1. All units in the stack run the exact same image
  2. Each member switch must have a compatible feature license. Otherwise, you need to upgrade the license level and then reload the switch.
  3. It is recommended to use same license level on all the switches in the stack

Refer:

Troubleshooting Switch Stacks

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/troubleshooting/switch_stacks.html#wp47108

http://www.ciscosystems.co.nz/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps7077/prod_qas0900aecd805bbea5.pdf

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***

How can I manually upgrade every switch in my stack?

I noticed that the command archive download-sw acts only on the stack master.

Is there a way to do this without powering off the stack?

Thanks

Hi Johnny,

Yes, you can upgrade the switch manually, but need to reload the switch to make effect of new upgrade. please see the detail below,

1. find the image that you want to download

Note: The commands archive download-sw and archive upload-sw are applicable only for .tar image files and do not apply to .bin image files.

2. You can verify the available memory in the Flash file system of switches individually

Note: In a Catalyst 3750 switch stack, flash: represents the Flash file system of the master switch.

3. Configure the boot variable to boot the switch with the newly copied IOS:

Switch(config)#boot system switch all flash:/c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE2.bin

Switch(config)#exit

Switch#write memory

or

Switch(config)#boot system flash:/c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-35.SE5.bin (for single switch)

4. Verify the boot variable:

Switch# show boot

BOOT path-list      : flash:/c3750-advipservicesk9-mz.122-25.SEE2.bin

Config file         : flash:/config.text

Private Config file : flash:/private-config.text

Enable Break        : no

Manual Boot         : no

HELPER path-list    :

Auto upgrade        : yes

5. Verify that the new IOS file is present in the Flash:

Switch#dir flash1

6. Reload and Verify

Reload the switch and verify that the switch runs the new Cisco IOS software version after the reload:

Switch#show version

Refer:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00804799d7.shtml#cfbin1

Regards,

Aru

*** Please rate if the post is useful ***

Regards, Aru *** Please rate if the post useful ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card