Views
Helpful
Replies

CAT9K - IOS-XE - Denali / Fuji / Everest

MARVIN SPITERI
Level 1
Level 1

Denali / Fuji / Everest

can anyone pls explain the difference ? or point me to officail cisco doc that states difference pls between new IOS-XE @Denali / Fuji / Everest ?

also I notice that for the latest Catalyst 9K series - there is no denali type available .... where from forums they commented that denali shoukd be the ver to go for...

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The names are the codewords used to cover two minor release trains, ie:

16.2 – 16.3  is Denali

16.6 – 16.7 is Everest

16.8 – 16.9 is Fuji

Obviously each minor release will come with new features and new caveats, so check the release notes against your environment to determine which release is right for you.

In absence of a recommended release for a platform it is usually a safe bet to pick the one with the most umber of revisions. For the Cat9300 that would be 16.6.4 .

Cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

Hello,

What Seb said is correct. They are just names of the different versions just like android has a code name for each release. However, the mapping is like this:

16.1 – 16.3 is Denali

16.4 – 16.6 is Everest

16.7 – 16.9 is Fuji

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The names are the codewords used to cover two minor release trains, ie:

16.2 – 16.3  is Denali

16.6 – 16.7 is Everest

16.8 – 16.9 is Fuji

Obviously each minor release will come with new features and new caveats, so check the release notes against your environment to determine which release is right for you.

In absence of a recommended release for a platform it is usually a safe bet to pick the one with the most umber of revisions. For the Cat9300 that would be 16.6.4 .

Cheers,

Seb.

Hello,

What Seb said is correct. They are just names of the different versions just like android has a code name for each release. However, the mapping is like this:

16.1 – 16.3 is Denali

16.4 – 16.6 is Everest

16.7 – 16.9 is Fuji

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

And Gibraltar???

Regards.

Gibraltar covers 16.10 - 16.11 https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/ios-nx-os-software/ios-xe-16/tsd-products-support-series-home.html I've just read a release that the next release name is Polaris, starting at 16.12 which bucks the trend of three minor versions per codename. cheers, Seb.

And 17.1.X is called Amsterdam.

Interesting, so 16.x is based on mountains, I wonder what the naming convention for 17.x is. Cities with canals?... an odd choice for sure!

Hi guys and thanks for the clarifications. One think that is not crystal clear for me is what is the purpose of all the naming (including android My maths suggests that ver.4 is older that ver. 5 etc. but can't remember if "kitkat" is more recent to "lolipop" or vice versa...

@jkar wrote:

is what is the purpose of all the naming

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's correct, and list goes on:

- Gibraltar 16.10 - 16.12

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I personally did some tests and still under process, i stick with Everest (16.6.3, if some new support go to more span image 16.6.4).

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If you've got 9500, DO NOT hold down the Mode button for >5 seconds.

so what if you are on  fuji  16.9.3 and install Gibraltar 16.12.3a

is that possible?

yes upgrade is possible - since you have not mentioned what device model

so please refer release notes supported version.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

sorry, my bad,

it's for the cisco 9200l lan switches

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card