Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2950 reset to factory settings problem

nicolae.stihhi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I own a Cisco Catalyst 2950, IOS Version 12.1(13)EA1.

Unfortunately it came into my hands when it was already configured (or so I think), because Quick Setup steps from User Manual don't work.

I have no serial ports or Serial-USB adapter to connect to the console port and my question is: how could I reset it to factory defaults or how can I connect to it without knowing it's IP address.

Things I already did:

- keep Mode button pressed for x seconds (where x belongs to {1, ..., 120} )

- connected to Ethernet port with manually configured IP (no DHCP was available) and tried most usual 10.0.0.x

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Nicolae,

I have checked the release notes and I am sorry to say that express setup is available for Cat2950 switches only since 12.1(14) EA1 IOS software release. So your software version does not support this feature. It looks that using the serial port for configuration of your unit is most viable option at the moment. Good luck!

Best regards,

Antonin

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have no serial ports or Serial-USB adapter to connect to the console port and my question is: how could I reset it to factory defaults or how can I connect to it without knowing it's IP address.

Power off the switch.  Let the switch lie on it's front panel (weight on the mode button).  Power on the switch.  Get a coffee.

Should be on default by the time you come back.

Hi! Thanks for your reply!

I took it as a joke first, but, nevertheless, I tried your solution and didn't work. :-)

If I start the switch with the mode button pressed, the Stat led stays lit for 3 secs and then the SYST starts blinking green-amber and there's nothing to do to stop it (besides pulling the plug).

In the normal way (without MODE pressed), it goes through the normal POST and then SYST and STAT are lit, as usual.

Still waiting for any solutions! ;-)

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There is no easy way without a way to tie into the console.  Wouldn't be very good security if it was easy...  You need a way to get into the console whether a USB or serial port  and go thru the password recovery procedure , then once into the switch you can do a write erase and reload and the switch will be at defaults .  You can also delete the vlan.dat file if you want all previous configured vlans deleted also.

Hi,

Is this the only switch you got , is he connected to a router?

Regards.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Hi!

Thanks a lot for your replies!

This is the only professional network equipment I've got at all and, unfortunately, I'm quite "noob" regarding Cisco systems. The switch was bought for the company I work for by the last IT manager. I remember that the box was sealed with the Cisco adhesive tape, so the switch should be in it's initial state.

I thought there's a way to hard-reset it (e.g. through the Mode button) or a software way to find it's IP (e.g. using the MAC address) and guess an eventual password.

However, if there's no other solution, I will buy a Serial-USB adapter or try to find a PC with serial port in order to connect to it's console. I'm just mad I have to do this for a 3-second reset procedure.

Regards,

Nicolae

Hi Nicolae,

I have simulated your issue on my local Cat2950 and succeeded with both expess setup of "virgin" switch and reseting the configured switch again for express setup. These are my findings:

First please check again if your switch have been already configured (ie. not suitable for express setup) or not. For that you power-on the switch and let it load the image, run POST tests, etc. Few minutes should be OK, both SYST and STAT LEDS should lit green.

Now press the MODE button for about 3 seconds and look at the 4 LEDS above the MODE button (STAT, UTIL, DUPLEX, SPEED) - if they go steady green, your switch HAS NOT yet been configured and is ready for express setup, if they start blinking green, your switch HAS been configured and for express setup it must be reset again (please see beneath). In both cases you release the MODE button. Now:

1) If the switch is ready for express setup, you connect your PC to any switch port via Ethernet cable and wait about 30 seconds when the LED above the port turns green. Your PC should be configured as to receive the IP address etc. via DHCP. Please check via "ipconfig" command. You should receive the ip address 10.0.0.2. If so you should be able to ping both 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.3 addresses (switch interface Vlan 1 ip addresses assigned for expess setup).

If so please do telnet to any of these addresses. You should get Switch# prompt, ie. you are at the priviledge level and can do any configuration of the switch via CLI. For http access I have experienced authorization problems with the settings of my browser and rather then change my browser (switch uses HTTP V1 (1.0) I have set up the password on the switch and everything went OK. So if you do not want to use CLI for the switch configuration, please issue the command "enable secret ...... " when at the Switch# prompt via telnet and after that you can start your http session to either 10.0.0.1 or 10.0.0.3 ip address. You will be prompted for username and password, just fill-in the password you have set via "enable secret" command. You should get the express setup page where you can configure anything it allows you.

2) If the switch has been already configured (ie. LEDS went blinking green when you pressed the MODE button some time ago) you can reset it for the express setup. For that (switch still running) press the MODE button again. The 4 LEDS above the MODE button will start blinking green again. Keep the MODE button pressed for about 8 seconds, the LEDS go steady green. The switch now reloads itself. After reload (few minutes), you can check the status again via MODE button and hopefully finish the express setup.

Good Luck!

Best regards,

Antonin

Hi Antonin!

Thank you for your efforts!

I'm very sorry to disappoint but the switch is acting a weird way.

First steps go as usual: power up, POST tests, SYST and STAT leds are lit. But when I press the mode button, it just switches to the next led (e.g. from STAT to UTIL) and nothing else happens no matter how much I keep the MODE button pressed.

Anyway, don't want to bother you this much. I will just buy a serial-to-USB convertor, connect to it's console and it should be OK.

Regards

Hi Nicolae,

I have checked the release notes and I am sorry to say that express setup is available for Cat2950 switches only since 12.1(14) EA1 IOS software release. So your software version does not support this feature. It looks that using the serial port for configuration of your unit is most viable option at the moment. Good luck!

Best regards,

Antonin

Thanks a lot for your research!

It means I was 1 version distance from the MODE-button-resettable-switches! Will get the job done via Serial cable.

Regards,

Nicolae

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card