cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2960S; Do I have a Stack Module?

scottrel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

All,

Does anybody know a way of getting a 2960S to show me if it has a stack module installed. They don't seem to show up using the normal commands such as show inventroy or show inventory raw. I've also tried show platform. I'm comparing the output on two switches, one I know has a stack module and the other I know that does not. The one that does not shows everything to make me beleive it has.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Does anybody know a way of getting a 2960S to show me if it has a stack module installed.

The command is "sh inventory raw | include Fixed Module".

If you don't get any output, then you don't have a stacking module installed.

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Show switch stack-port, or other show switch commands.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Does anybody know a way of getting a 2960S to show me if it has a stack module installed.

The command is "sh inventory raw | include Fixed Module".

If you don't get any output, then you don't have a stacking module installed.

Please don't forget to rate our useful posts. 

Sorry, but I don't believe that any of the answers provided so far are correct. I have checked on several 2960S switch models and IOS levels and none of the commands work to determine if the switch contains a stacking module.

Using the "show switch" commands only has useful information if the switches are already stacked, so it really is of no use in remotely determining if a switch contains the stacking module.

The command "sh inventory raw | include Fixed Module" always has an output, regardless of if the switch contains a stacking module or not.

There is NO command to determine if the stacking module is physically in a 2960S switch that is not already actively using the stack module.

Patrick,

Have you tried any of these commands from the config guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_53_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1181023

Table 7-4 Commands for Displaying Stack Information 

Command

Description

show controller ethernet-controller stack port [1 | 2]

Display stack port counters (or per-interface and per-stack port send and receive statistics read from the hardware).

show platform stack passive-links all

Display all stack information, such as the stack protocol version.

Display the stack port events and history.

show switch

Display summary information about the stack, including the status of provisioned switches and switches in version-mismatch mode.

show switch stack-member-number

Display information about a specific member.

show switch detail

Display detailed information about the stack ring.

show switch neighbors

Display the stack neighbors.

show switch stack-ports

Display port information for the stack.

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

The results of those commands will give me information and statistics if there is a stack module in the switch and it is currently JOINED to a switch stack.

None of those commands results in an output that indicates if a 2960S does or does not physically have a stack module in it, if that switch is NOT already joined to a switch stack. Hope that makes sense.

I'm trying to remotely verify which of my customers standalone 2960S switches already have a stack module and which do not. Obviously I don't need to know if a 2960S that is already part of a switch stack has a stack module.  LOL

This came up because I need to order additonal stack modules for those closets that currently only have one standalone 2960S but will be getting more 2960S switches for added port counts. In order to stack them, I need to know which ones already have the stack module installed but there is no method to do it remotely. I will just have to physically visit the customer and do the inventory manually which is what I was trying to avoid.

I can confirm that none of the above mentioned commands worked for me to detefmine if the stack module is installed in 2960S chassis. At least for my IOS Version 12.2(55)SE7.

I have switches with and without this module and the outputs of these command are identical for both switches.

It's realy hard to diagnose the operational state of this module and do the inventory surveys.

If anyone has managed to solve this quest on different IOS releases, please let us all know.

Otherwise, it could be a very useful feature/bugfix request to Cisco to get this information included in the "show inventory" output.

This is an old request but I found that if you run the following command (show inventory raw ) it will survey your entire switch, scroll near the top and look for StackAdaptor1/1, if the serial number is filed in, then the module is physically installed, if the serial number is blank, then it is not physically installed.

NAME: "StackAdapter1/1", DESCR: "StackAdapter1/1"
PID: , VID: , SN:

Super old post, but considering I ran across it trying to find an answer I figured I would update it with the answer I found.

#sh platform status

Without: It will return 

With: It will return

FlexStack Module Status: Normal

#sh platform status - this seems to have worked successfully for me.  Thanks.

Glad to be of some assistance.

Yes!!!!  Thanks!

Glad it was useful

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card