Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750 - Logging - syslog

Locayta123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there.

I'm looking to configure a syslog server for all of my cisco device logging. I've had a look at CNA and can't find any options to define a syslog server for my switches.

What's the best way to define a syslog server and the severity of the notifications? Also, i'm looking to clear all previous Syste mmessages fon my devices?

Thanks,

J,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

You just configure the following commands.

Switch(conf)#logging trap notifications

Switch(conf)#logging host A.B.C.D

HTH,

Toshi

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,

You just configure the following commands.

Switch(conf)#logging trap notifications

Switch(conf)#logging host A.B.C.D

HTH,

Toshi

You configure it pretty much as Thotsaphon said.

Search for Kiwi Syslog Server, it's made by Solarwinds, and is a pretty decent free Syslog Server.

There are also different levels with syslog messages.

0 Emergency: system is unusable
1 Alert: action must be taken immediately
2 Critical: critical conditions
3 Error: error conditions
4 Warning: warning conditions
5 Notice: normal but significant condition
6 Informational: informational messages
7 Debug: debug-level messages

Which ever one you choose, it will include all the levels above it. For example, if you chose Informational, it will also include Notice, warning, Error, Critical, Alert and Emergency. I always choose warning.

Thanks guy's.

I've configured rsyslog and log analyzer on my *nix server and will look to send logs there.

Hi Jamie,

Take a look at my WP published here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/technologies/collateral/tk869/tk769/white_paper_c11-557812.html

That should help you with everything you need to get syslog management going in your environment :-)

Hi Clayton,

I want to enable logging to syslog to custom port say UDP 513. is there any way please help?

Regards,

Karthik

Hi Karthik,

There are a logging command parameters like the following "logging host 209.165.201.1 transport udp port 601" but it is not available on all platforms, e.g. 2960 switches do not support it. Same for 3750, I believe.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card