cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4006 Quick Restore

avilt
Level 3
Level 3

I have a Catalyst 4006 switch in production and a spare switch of same model. I have to quickly copy the configuration from production switch to spare switch (both L2 and L3 configurations) How do I do that? Appreciate your response.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A lot depends on whether you have the same modules in the spare switch.

If you do and it is exactly the same then the easiset thing to do is either -

1) copy the config off the live switch and paste it back into the spare switch

OR

2) if you have a tftp server handy then copy the live switch config(s) to the tftp server and then configure an IP address/default-gateway on the 4006 and tftp the config from the tftp server.

Note, if the modules are not exactly the same then you will need to sort out the L2 config by hand.

Jon

View solution in original post

So it's the same model with exactly the same linecards in the same slots ?

If so yes you can cut and paste but i wouldn't try pasting it all at once as this can overload the switch. Just do it about 30 lines or so at a time, it's still going to be pretty quick to do.

Jon

Hi Avilt.

You can try with the following Mainline Back up and Restore Configuration Files,

refer : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a008020260d.shtml

Hope this helps!

Siva

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A lot depends on whether you have the same modules in the spare switch.

If you do and it is exactly the same then the easiset thing to do is either -

1) copy the config off the live switch and paste it back into the spare switch

OR

2) if you have a tftp server handy then copy the live switch config(s) to the tftp server and then configure an IP address/default-gateway on the 4006 and tftp the config from the tftp server.

Note, if the modules are not exactly the same then you will need to sort out the L2 config by hand.

Jon

It's exactly the same model. Can I do a copy paste of the text configuration which was taken by specifying terminal length as 0?

So it's the same model with exactly the same linecards in the same slots ?

If so yes you can cut and paste but i wouldn't try pasting it all at once as this can overload the switch. Just do it about 30 lines or so at a time, it's still going to be pretty quick to do.

Jon

O.K Thank You, I will try it out tomorrow.

Hi Avilt.

You can try with the following Mainline Back up and Restore Configuration Files,

refer : http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1835/products_tech_note09186a008020260d.shtml

Hope this helps!

Siva

Hi All,

Can cisco 4000 series backup configuration file convert or restore to router 2911?

Let say  I have Cisco 4000 which running in production as well as Cisco 2811 which able use CF card to backup the configuration and if my Cisco 2811 having problem I can just use the CF card to restore in new router. The question is my Cisco 4000, could I backup the configuration file and convert or restore to Cisco 2811 or 2911 ?”

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card