cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9200L Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

stuart.pannell
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently swapping out a number of old 3750 V2's for 9200L switches and have come across the following error a number of times on various switches: -

-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_%ILPOWERERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi1/0/1: Power Controller reports power Imax error detected

Different types of devices have caused this from 3rd party door controllers to Cisco 9115ax Wireless AP's. A reboot of the switch appears to temporally fix this however it appears to come back after a short period of time. We have swapped the switch for another same make and model and there is no issues. We are running code 17.6.4 and according to Cisco bug search we should not be hitting bug CSCvs52594. 

Does anyone know of any power issues with 9200L's or should I start replacing the switches via Cisco RMA?

8 Replies 8

@stuart.pannell you can open TAC case and raise the issue.

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade to 17.9.3 and see if it makes any difference.

Hi Leo, not sure that's a good idea as there is no MD release for Cupertino at all, there is however Bengaluru-17.6.5 MD
I think I'll give it a try 
Why do Cisco develop so many different trains of software for the same switches?
Are there any differences?

@stuart.pannell wrote:

Hi Leo, not sure that's a good idea as there is no MD release for Cupertino at all, there is however Bengaluru-17.6.5 MD
I think I'll give it a try 
Why do Cisco develop so many different trains of software for the same switches?
Are there any differences?

Read between the lines:  Upgrade to 17.9.3.

I am reading between the lines, the fact that there is no MD or suggested version of Cupertino makes me think it is still bug ridden and in Beta testing. What is the point of Cisco highlighting suggested versions of code for us to just put on the one with the highest number? I am not looking for a code that has new features in it, these are basic L2 switches, I just want the latest code that has fixed most of the bugs. This should be an MD version of code as they are supposed to be bug fixed whereas ED versions of code bring out new features and thus could enable new bugs.

@stuart.pannell wrote:
 makes me think it is still bug ridden and in Beta testing.

Every release is beta.  Every one of them.  Tight deadlines means Cisco does not have the resources to test every release.  It is up to the customer to "test" them and report bugs (if they have valid Service Contracts to raise TAC Cases).  

@stuart.pannell wrote:
I just want the latest code that has fixed most of the bugs.

None available.  Each release "might" fix bugs but it also opens a can of "bugs".  

Take, for example, CSCwf09053.  This Bug is meant to "fix" CSCvx32806.  Instead, a new bug was created and CSCvx32806 remains unfixed.  

Another reason why I am recommending to go straight to 17.9.3 is because 17.3.X and 17.6.X is already "end-of-sale".  The recommended software release from 17.3.X and 17.6.X is 17.9.3.

EDIT: 
Also, this could, potentially, be CSCwd78924.  

We just upgraded a site's Wi-Fi from 5508 to 9800L-F.  Part of the upgrade we replaced site's 3502i/3602i APs with 9115AXi.  

I am seeing the "%ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi1/0/10: Power Controller reports power Imax error detected" as well. 

The 9200L switch is running 17.12.1 (as is the 9800L-F)

sh power inline

Module Available Used Remaining
(Watts) (Watts) (Watts)
------ --------- -------- ---------
1 1480.0 273.1 1206.9
Interface Admin Oper Power Device Class Max
(Watts)
--------- ------ ---------- ------- ------------------- ----- ----
Gi1/0/1 auto on 18.9 C9115AXI-B 4 30.0
Gi1/0/2 auto on 18.9 C9115AXI-B 4 30.0
Gi1/0/3 auto on 18.9 C9115AXI-B 4 30.0
Gi1/0/4 auto on 18.9 C9115AXI-B 4 30.0
Gi1/0/5 auto on 18.9 C9115AXI-B 4 30.0
Gi1/0/6 auto on 22.5 AIR-AP2802I-B-K9 4 30.0
Gi1/0/7 auto on 18.9 C9115AXI-B 4 30.0
Gi1/0/8 auto on 22.5 AIR-AP2802I-B-K9 4 30.0
Gi1/0/9 auto on 18.9 C9115AXI-B 4 30.0
Gi1/0/10 auto on 18.9 C9115AXI-B 4 30.0

I checked mentioned bugs and it does not seem that we should be seeing this.  CSCwd78924 mentions non-class 4 devices.    The Cable TDR test shows OK.  But the Show Power reports

CSA-01-RHB-STK#sh power inline gigabitEthernet 1/0/10 det
Interface: Gi1/0/10
Inline Power Mode: auto
Operational status: faulty
Device Detected: no
Device Type: n/a
IEEE Class: n/a
Discovery mechanism used/configured: Ieee and Cisco
Police: off

Power Allocated
Admin Value: 30.0
Power drawn from the source: 0.0
Power available to the device: 0.0

Actual consumption
Measured at the port: 0.0
Maximum Power drawn by the device since powered on: 0.0

Absent Counter: 0
Over Current Counter: 0
Short Current Counter: 0
Invalid Signature Counter: 0
Power Denied Counter: 0

Power Negotiation Used: None
LLDP Power Negotiation --Sent to PD-- --Rcvd from PD--
Power Type: - -
Power Source: - -
Power Priority: - -
Requested Power(W): - -
Allocated Power(W): - -

Four-Pair PoE Supported: No
Spare Pair Power Enabled: No
Four-Pair PD Architecture: N/A
Perpetual POE Enabled: FALSE
Fast POE Enabled: FALSE

The other APs / interfaces are stable and since they are on ports 1 -9, I presume the same ASIC in the 9200L.  Is there anything else to check or are we looking at a bad 9115AXi AP?  The AP does come up but will go offline at random times and the switch logs report the power draw issue on that switchport.   

Good morning perrymcgrew,

I am suffering the same problem with the same controller, APs but with a switch C1000-24P-4G-L. Did you find the solution?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card