cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300 and extended VLANs

nat8506
Level 1
Level 1

If I'm currently running VTP version 1 or 2 on my network and I have a 9300 switch in Client mode, I change to Server mode and create an extended VLAN, then go back to Client mode, will the revision number increment? I can't confirm but I don't believe it changes the revision number since extended VLANs are not propagated with VTP versions 1 or 2. Can anyone please confirm this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nat8506
Level 1
Level 1

So to answer my own question and for anyone that may be curious I was able to test this on a Catalyst 9k test switch. Following that, I successfully implemented the extended VLAN creation in production without changing the revision number. The answer is that on the 9k platform (if you are using VTP version 1 or 2) you can go from Client to Server mode, create the extended VLAN, go back to Client mode and the revision number does not change. Furthermore, and something else I tested on the 9k platform, you can actually stay in Client mode if you're creating extended VLANs, pretty neat. To further test I did a reload on the switch to see if the extended VLANs would stay and they did, also neat. So on the 9k's you can actually create extended VLANs in any mode, the revision number doesn't change, and the extended VLANs will still be there after a reload. This is due to the fact that the revision number doesn't change and extended VLANs are not propagated in VTP 1 or 2. So for our purposes in production, I actually just stayed in Client mode and successfully created the extended VLANs.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Martin L
VIP
VIP

you are right; it does not increment revision number as long as your vlan number is in range of extended VLANs.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can configure normal-range VLANs (2 through 1000) when the switch is in either VTP server or transparent mode. However, you can only configure extended-range VLANs (1025 through 4094) in VTP transparent switches.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_tech_note09186a0080890613.shtml#conf-vtp

VTPv3, you can carry both normal and extended range VLANs j

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This is not true for Catalyst 9k's.

nat8506
Level 1
Level 1

So to answer my own question and for anyone that may be curious I was able to test this on a Catalyst 9k test switch. Following that, I successfully implemented the extended VLAN creation in production without changing the revision number. The answer is that on the 9k platform (if you are using VTP version 1 or 2) you can go from Client to Server mode, create the extended VLAN, go back to Client mode and the revision number does not change. Furthermore, and something else I tested on the 9k platform, you can actually stay in Client mode if you're creating extended VLANs, pretty neat. To further test I did a reload on the switch to see if the extended VLANs would stay and they did, also neat. So on the 9k's you can actually create extended VLANs in any mode, the revision number doesn't change, and the extended VLANs will still be there after a reload. This is due to the fact that the revision number doesn't change and extended VLANs are not propagated in VTP 1 or 2. So for our purposes in production, I actually just stayed in Client mode and successfully created the extended VLANs.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card