Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300 License Usage

navidn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Recently, I have purchased and received a new c9300 switch with IOS XE version 16.12. When I checked the licensing status it was on the eval mode and all licenses needed to register. However, after upgrading the switch to the IOS XE 17.03, I have noticed that all instances are enabled and licenses are in use. Is that mean I do not need any connection to CSSM anymore?

Moreover, when I verify the license usage I get the first image that declares that all the licenses are enabled.

Using the license summary that you can see in the second image I see a deadline for reporting. Is that mean the license will unavailable after the deadline?

Thanks in Advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

@navidn wrote:

Thanks, o be clarified, NO need means no further communication would not be needed?

If so, it is kind of opposite to what Balaji just said!

New Deployment Method for Smart Licensing

View solution in original post

Technically nothing happens as per my experience, but to compliance to meet cisco requirements the device should contact every 90days I guess to validate.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@navidn wrote:

However, after upgrading the switch to the IOS XE 17.03, I have noticed that all instances are enabled and licenses are in use. Is that mean I do not need any connection to CSSM anymore?

NO need.  

The switch will inherit and honor the factory license & doing away with Cisco Smart License.

Thanks, o be clarified, NO need means no further communication would not be needed?

@navidn wrote:

New Deployment Method for Smart Licensing

I am greatful, so if in a case that the device is placed in a secure environment and license reporting is not possible, the device features stop working?

@navidn wrote:

so if in a case that the device is placed in a secure environment and license reporting is not possible, the device features stop working?

Did anyone read the link I have provided? 

I am not going to sound like a broken record.  I have provided the answer to this question.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You license is good, next one try to just validate after certain days with License server.

BB

Thanks for your reply, So if the switch fails to communicate to the license server after a certain time, all licenses would be unregistered and all instances would be disabled?

Technically nothing happens as per my experience, but to compliance to meet cisco requirements the device should contact every 90days I guess to validate.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: