Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300 Stack power wit 8 switches

dm2020
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need to setup an 8-member Catalyst 9300 switch stack that will use Stackpower. I'm aware that a Stackpower ring is limited to 4-member switches, so in my scenario I need to configure two Stackpower rings, however, I cant find any clear cabling guides to achieve this. Does anyone have an example cabling diagram for this please?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

I agree with Mark. There should be 2 sets of 4.

HTH

View solution in original post

Also, please remember that power stacking is not a UPS solution and does not protect you against power failure to the whole stack. It only protects you if someone accidentally unplugs one or 2 of the switches from the wall outlet or PDU. 

HTH

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi
Just an option , instead of trying an unsupported design why not stack power in star topology then you can have all 8

A switch power stack can include a maximum of four switches in a ring topology and eight switches in
a star topology.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/hardware/install/b_c9300_hig/b_c9300_hig_chapter_010.pdf

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response, however, doesn't a star topology require an RPS? If so, I dont have one of these available so I'm limited to forming stack power rings.

Thanks

Hi,

That is correct. If you had an RPS, you could connect up to  9 switches to it, but since you don't have one you are limited to a ring topology using power staking cables.

HTH

Yes Reza got back before me :) it does as he and you stated require RPS and i dont want to advise on a power setup i haven't put in place so maybe someone else can shine a light if its possible to do 8 switches somehow even unsupported but personally i would have split the stack into 2 blocks of 4 and dual linked everything back to each of them or gone with a star , one thing about having an unsupported design if you ever have an issue Cisco they will unlikely support it through TAC

HTH

Also, please remember that power stacking is not a UPS solution and does not protect you against power failure to the whole stack. It only protects you if someone accidentally unplugs one or 2 of the switches from the wall outlet or PDU. 

HTH

@Reza Sharifi wrote:

HTH

Hi Reza,

Do you mean that in the absence of an XPS, 2 powerstacks of 4x 9300s within a datastack of 8x 9300s is a valid configuration? I believe this is the case, but I couldn't find much documentation around it or any user feedback. I really would like to exceed 4 stack members, but the XPS doesn't appeal much.

Regards

James.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card