Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9500 switching capacity

adamgibs7
Level 6
Level 6

Dear Experts

I was choosing a Catalyst 9500 switch C9500-16X/C9500-24Y4C, which is having a switching capacity of 480Gbps and 2 TBPS so lets assume if it is configured in stackwise virtual it provide me 480X2=960 GBPs throughput and for 24 port it will provide 2X2=4Tbps. Please confirm the maths is correct ??

ALSO I HAVE A BELOW DOUBT.

so what Cisco has mentioned the throughput of 480Gbps and 2 Tbps is it half duplex or full duplex ?? can anybody confirm.

Thanks 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9500-series-switches/data_sheet-c78-738978.html#Ordering-Information

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

adamgibs7,

I will focus on the Catalyst 9K family as that is what I support.

All Catalyst 9K switches support non-blocking architectures. There are only 2 possible exceptions: the 24-port 10Gbps fiber and 24-port mGig modules of the Catalyst 9400. I say "possible" because it depends on which Supervisor is used, which chassis is used and the total bandwidth of the connections on the modules. For example, if all of the ports are connected at 1Gbps, then they are all line rate since the total speed would be 24Gbps and the modules can support 80Gbps per slot at a minimum (again, this number can be higher depending on which Supervisor is used and which chassis is used) . Future Catalyst 9400 supervisors will remove this over-subscription, and these modules will then also be non-blocking regardless of connection speed.

Cheers,

Scott
Scott

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

adamgibs7,

The math you have done is correct, but remember that 480Gbps and 2Tbps are the total per switch counting both directions (what I call the "marketing" number). When you create a SWV pair, then you would double the number as you have done. But again, these are counting both directions. For what I call the "engineering" number, take half. Regardless, both of these switches are non-blocking  architectures.

Cheers,
Scott

thanks scott,

"Regardless, both of these switches are non-blocking  architectures"

what is non-blocking architecture hence what I know in earlier days 1 no's of link use to block for spanning-tree, hence when VSS technology arrived blocking of link has been disappeared,

is it you are referring VSS and SWV pair as a non-blocking  architecture ??

Thanks

adamgibs7,

When I say "non-blocking" i mean from a bandwidth perspective. You can run all ports at full line rate whether in standalone mode or SWV mode.

Cheers,

Scott

Dear Scott,

As what I was thinking that a switch port which is of 1 gig can handle traffic upto 1 gig , but as u mentioned that are the switches that are in blocking state ??? can you please reply with models that doesn't support with full line rate.

Thanks 

adamgibs,

All Catalyst 9500s support full line rate on all ports. 

Cheers,
Scott

thanks for the reply,

as I was looking for the switches which are not supporting non-blocking architecture.

Regards

adamgibs7,

I will focus on the Catalyst 9K family as that is what I support.

All Catalyst 9K switches support non-blocking architectures. There are only 2 possible exceptions: the 24-port 10Gbps fiber and 24-port mGig modules of the Catalyst 9400. I say "possible" because it depends on which Supervisor is used, which chassis is used and the total bandwidth of the connections on the modules. For example, if all of the ports are connected at 1Gbps, then they are all line rate since the total speed would be 24Gbps and the modules can support 80Gbps per slot at a minimum (again, this number can be higher depending on which Supervisor is used and which chassis is used) . Future Catalyst 9400 supervisors will remove this over-subscription, and these modules will then also be non-blocking regardless of connection speed.

Cheers,

Scott
Scott

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card