Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9600 Virtial Stack-wise with dual supervisor

AhmedElGarf
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

I have two boxes of 9600 switch and each one of them has two supervisors enginges,

A virtual stack-wise is implemtened as HA between the two boxes.

The case is : when a SUP goes down in the main box , the SUP that goes up is in the second box!

The question is , I need to make the SUP in the same box that having its main SUP failure to take over.

9 Replies 9

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

What version of software are you running? Usually with traditional VSS, when one sup fails the sup in the other chassis will take over and not the second sup in the same chassis.

HTH

brselzer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Ahmed,

At this time, 9600 does not support stackwise virtual with two sups in each chassis:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9600/software/release/16-12/configuration_guide/ha/b_1612_ha_9600_cg/configuring_cisco_stackwise_virtual.html

"The Cisco Catalyst 9600 Series Switches support Cisco StackWise Virtual with only one supervisor in each chassis."

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

@brselzer 

Good topic and question from me here.....if Cisco has new models and advanced build with many features, what is the status of in-chasis redundancy? ( like old fashion VSS has Quad supervisor support - moving forward to replace 6500/6800 with 96XX as use case ?)

Agreed that old VSS work redundancy as "Z" scenario?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello Balaji,

Currently, the 9600s do support in chassis redundancy when they are in standalone mode (not in stackwise virtual). They also support stackwise virtual with a single sup in each chassis. However, at this point they don't support quad-sup (two sups per chassis). I believe quad-sup is on the roadmap. 

Does that answer your questions?

Hope that helps!

-Bradley Selzer
CCIE# 60833

Thanks for the clarification, since business look for investment protection..i know Cat 9600 is big investment.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

9600 Quadsup should be supported starting 17.1.1

Nothing in release notes of 17.1.1 for quad sup. Anyone got any roadmap info ?

Looks like release notes for 17.2.1 has Quad-Supervisor with Route Processor Redundancy (RPR) listed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card