cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS350-24T-4X interconnectivity - Best practices?

BlueSkyy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am a beginner when it comes to managed switches and the CBS350 is my first foray into this arena.  I currently have a home network with my cable modem feeding an ASUS router and a QNAP QSW-1208-8C unmanaged switch followed by several inexpensive Netgear unmanaged switches in the four or five rooms on the house where I have Ethernet drops.  I have a new CBS350-24T-4X that I am going install at the router and feed any remaining switches and/or dedicated Ethernet drops from the CBS350.  The 350 has four (4) 10G fiber ports and I need more of them so I intend to connect the QNAP which is capable of 10GbE via RJ-45 and SFP+ modules as well.

I am wondering if I can install a single RJ-45 copper SFP+ in the CBS350 and connect the CAT6A from that directly into the RJ-45 port on the QNAP or must I have an identical SFP+ module installed in the QNAP for it to work?  Alternatively, I suppose I could get two optical SFP+ modules; one for the CBS and one for the QNAP.

Also, is there anything inherently wrong with the inexpensive Netgear unmanaged switches?

Thank you for your thoughts!

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

One additional aspect to consider is which ports you need later on the QNAP. If you could run out of copper-ports, then I would connect both switches with a DAC (Direct Attach Cable) on the SFP+ ports. If not, the Copper SFP+ on the CBS side would be a good fit.

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Also, is there anything inherently wrong with the inexpensive Netgear unmanaged switches?"

The one issue with inexpensive switches, they often cannot support wire-speed on all their ports, concurrently.  (BTW, many earlier Cisco Enterprise switches couldn't either, e.g. 24 or 48 gig port 3750g.)

Fortunately, this often isn't a problem in most home networks (or, truthfully, many business networks either).

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Both sides of RJ45 should work for QNAP have you tried and you see the issue?

are you looking 10G connection for J45 or 10G with SFP Module?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

10G with: J45 on the QNAP without the SFP and on the CBS350 with the SFP.

Sure that should work as expected, check the matrix is the model support 10GB copper SFP.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

One additional aspect to consider is which ports you need later on the QNAP. If you could run out of copper-ports, then I would connect both switches with a DAC (Direct Attach Cable) on the SFP+ ports. If not, the Copper SFP+ on the CBS side would be a good fit.

Excellent point and thanks for the advice!  I am amazed at how large my tiny home network has grown!

Hi Karsten,

I took your advice and got an inexpensive 1m DAC cable (twinax copper) and it works fine.  Much, much less expensive than two Copper SFP+ devices!

That's what I also do most of the time if the devices are near by.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Also, is there anything inherently wrong with the inexpensive Netgear unmanaged switches?"

The one issue with inexpensive switches, they often cannot support wire-speed on all their ports, concurrently.  (BTW, many earlier Cisco Enterprise switches couldn't either, e.g. 24 or 48 gig port 3750g.)

Fortunately, this often isn't a problem in most home networks (or, truthfully, many business networks either).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card