cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

change the isp vlan in a swich

atiye.bigdeli
Level 1
Level 1
hi friends. i get a number of VLAN from my ISP and config in my edge 2960x switch, but I dont want to use that vlan in core switch. how can i change these VLANs in that 2960x switch without using another switch? Regards
7 Replies 7

Hello,

basically, if you don't want to use those VLANS in other switches, you can either prune them or use the command 'switchport trunk allowed' on the trunk links:

2960x

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

description Trunk to Core

switchport trunk pruning vlan x

or 

2960x

interface GigabitEthernet0/0

description Trunk to Core

switchport trunk allowed vlan x

Hello

thank you for your reply

my problem is that the isp gave me the vlan 660 and i want to change that to vlan 20 in the swith. how can i change the vlan in a local switch?

regards

how do you currently connect to your ISP?

normally you can number the vlan to whatever you want, as long as the overlying subnet stays the same.

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

i received these vlan from my isp and i cant change them normally. i should map them. i found the solution q in q. but dont know exactly it cat solve my problem or not

Hi Mohmmad 

thank you so much.

yes that is correct I should do q in q vlan mapping. but I am not sure that WS-SUP720-3B in 6509 support this feature.

Best Regards 

Generally, if ISP is sending traffic tagged with tag 660 there is no much to do - you need to match ISP's tag. If you perform QinQ you will at some point in your network need to match your tag to ISP's tag (660 will be present again, but it may be in some other place in network). If traffic is sent untagged you can disable cdp and lldp on interface and configure any VLAN you want (it will not matter which VLAN is configured on ISP's side).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card