Helpful
Replies

Changing a Catalyst 2960 to Catalyst 9200 series

jmpandi2017
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I'm new here. 

I am trying to replace a catalyst 2960 switch with a catalyst 9200 series switch. 

Is it possible for me to pull the configs on the catalyst 2960 switch and put it into the new catalyst 9200 switch? 

Thank you in advance for the help. 

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

90% of the command should accept when I did 3750X  to Cat 9300, but what version of code running in cat 29XX matters here.

if this is old 12.X  then like example... QoS changed 

I would advise Cat 9200, to upgrade to later IOS-XE code as suggested by Cisco.

Copy the Cat 29XX config to the note pad, start pasting on Cat 9200 (a few lines and Observ any errors) then start mitigating. the issue)

Once all is fixed, add the new Cat 9200 into the network and test a few devices working as expected, before you do cut over.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

ashishr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @jmpandi2017 
Most of the commands should be same, you may run into issues if you are running QoS policy-maps on 2960. You can refer to the examples in the following document to modify your qos configuration if required. if it is just auto-cos then you can simply enable it on Cat9K interface as well.

3750 MLS to 3850 MQC Conversion of QoS Configuration
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/118629-technote-qos-00.html

Thanks,

Ashish

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

90% of the command should accept when I did 3750X  to Cat 9300, but what version of code running in cat 29XX matters here.

if this is old 12.X  then like example... QoS changed 

I would advise Cat 9200, to upgrade to later IOS-XE code as suggested by Cisco.

Copy the Cat 29XX config to the note pad, start pasting on Cat 9200 (a few lines and Observ any errors) then start mitigating. the issue)

Once all is fixed, add the new Cat 9200 into the network and test a few devices working as expected, before you do cut over.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji.bandi

Thank you for the quick response. 

I'll try and let you know of the outcome. 

ashishr
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @jmpandi2017 
Most of the commands should be same, you may run into issues if you are running QoS policy-maps on 2960. You can refer to the examples in the following document to modify your qos configuration if required. if it is just auto-cos then you can simply enable it on Cat9K interface as well.

3750 MLS to 3850 MQC Conversion of QoS Configuration
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/118629-technote-qos-00.html

Thanks,

Ashish

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card