cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2911 used as console server

Chris Callison
Level 1
Level 1

I have a console server that I need to deploy in a remote cage that is only accessible by a long-reach SM fiber connection.

I have a CIsco 2911 with a 16-port card for console connections, a 4-port switchport card for local connections and a SFP interface to house the SFP.

I would like to have the switchport and the routed SFP to be in the same VLAN.  I tried to use a BVI between the routed interface and the VLAN interface used for the switched ports, but it doesn't seem to work.

Am I overthinking this?

interface GigabitEthernet0/1/0
description CHG-GW-01 Gig 1/1/4
no ip address
media-type sfp
bridge-group 1
!
interface Vlan9
no ip address
bridge-group 1

interface BVI1
ip address 10.9.140.251 255.255.0.0

bridge 1 protocol ieee
bridge 1 route ip

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"I would like to have the switchport and the routed SFP to be in the same VLAN"

any reason why you would like to have above setup ? if i understand correctly if this terminal server, you like to connect to this 2911 and loging to other kit ? please confirm ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I have switches that need to be connected through Ethernet to the same out-of-band VLAN as the other cage.

I found a few other sample configurations and it looks it will work if I convert the gi0/1 interface to a tagged sub-interface.

you can configure as trunk and allow what ever vlan you requires. or l3 port-channel, depends on requirement and what suitable for you.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

If I use the sub-interface on the gi0/1/0 interface and set the vlan on the switchports, do I need the bridge, or will that just work because of the tagging?

If I am understanding the situation correctly then you do not need the bridge. The sub interfaces with tagging will work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card