cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2960 switch and QoS

enehring
Level 1
Level 1

we are trying to mark traffic close to the source, by applying the configuration on the switch, as included in the attachment.

Object of this config in the switch is to mark with specific dscp values, to be used in giving prioritization across the WAN.

Example: incoming packets of fas 0/1 are destinted for IP address 10.180.9.16. Based on our acl for APP1, under extended ACL Critical_Data, we should mark this with dscp af31. The router QoS is setup to prioritize this traffic, during congested periods.

however, on the switch, when i apply the service policy inbound, i get this error msg:

QoS: class(CRITICAL) match ip can be used only with match protocol in a match-all class [FastEthernet0/1]

Not sure why this error is being caused, or how to correct it. 

It would appear to be caused by the access-group line in the class map for critical and/or scavenger traffic.

Can you help provide a correct config sample that will work for this setup?

switch model  and ios is:

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image                

------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------              

*    1 26    WS-C2960-24TC-L    12.2(55)SE5           C2960-LANBASEK9-M Switch Ports Model  

thanks in advance

11 Replies 11

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

In my view the error message addresses the fact you are breaking the rule for the "match" command within the "class-map":

"Only one match criterion per class map is supported, and only one ACL per class map is supported." - 12.2(55) Configuration Guide,

"To define packet classification on a physical-port basis, only one match command per class map is supported." - 12.2(55) Command Reference,

ie. you cannot classify the traffic by ip dscp value AND access-list at the same time (sorry to say that).

Best regards,

Antonin

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Try:

class-map match-any CRITICAL

match access-group name CRITICAL_DATA

class-map match-any SCAVENGER

match access-group name SCAVENGER

ip access-list extended CRITICAL_DATA

permit ip any any dscp af31

ip access-list extended SCAVENGER

permit ip any any dscp cs1

Thanks to Joseph and Antonin for your replies.

Joseph, my question for you now is, if i do as you suggest, i've removed the specific destination networks that i indicated were part of either scavenger or critical data.

how does you method determine which incoming packets are to be marked AF31 or CS1?

thanks again for your response. hope i haven't misundertood your info.

regards,

Ed

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Ed, I meant for you to move the DSCP match from the match-class to the ACL.  I.e. you keep the current ACEs, just add the new ACE.

thanks again Joseph.

can i do this:

# traffic rules for APPS1

permit ip any 10.180.9.16 0.0.0.0 dscp af31

permit ip any 10.180.9.12 0.0.0.0 dscp af31

#traffic rules for APPS2

permit tcp any 206.108.40.29 0.0.0.0 eq 80 dscp af31

if i do the above, and then apply the service policy input on all user access ports, will traffic destined for above destinations be marked with af31?

the CRITICAL_DATA acl above is only a portion of what is in the actual acl, just as an fyi.

thanks again

Ed

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Sure you can match on the DSCP on the other ACEs, although if your intent is to mark matched AF31 with AF31, you don't need to as they already are so marked.

i think i've confused the situation, or i am confused.

currently no traffic is being marked with af31. we would like to apply a rule on switch user access ports that says, for example, any traffic destined for desintation IP 10.180.9.16 be marked with dscp af31. Likewise for any traffic destined for destination IP 206.108.40.29 port 80.

here is how i understand what you were telling to do in your first reply:

# traffic rules for APPS1

permit ip any 10.180.9.16 0.0.0.0

permit ip any 10.180.9.12 0.0.0.0

#traffic rules for APPS2

permit tcp any 206.108.40.29 0.0.0.0 eq 80

permit ip any any dscp af31

Exit

But if the above is correct, then to me, everything coming into a user access port will be marked af31. Hence why i changed to adding dscp af31 at the end of current permit lines. i thought that maybe that would do what we wanted.

what have i misunderstood. I'm very sorry for troubling you, but appreciate your help.

regards,

Ed

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Well I'm confused. 

You're not troubling me.

From your original class-maps it appears you wanted traffic that matched the ACL to get a specific marking or (the match-any) preserve traffic with that same marking.  (BTW, this makes sense, unless you want to restrict the DSCP marking to traffic only matching the prior ACL.)

If the issue is the 2960 won't allow a class-map with multiple match statements, what I'm suggesting is moving the one class-map match statement, for the DSCP value, to an ACE.  Your last posted ACL is what I intended by my first post.  I listed the ACE first, but last ACE is fine too.

Lol, thanks Joseph. You are patient

you are correct in saying that we wanted to incoming traffic that matched the ACL to be marked, i.e. if incoming packet matched an ACE in the CRITICAL_DATA, it is to be marked dscp af31, if it matched an ACE from the SCAVENGER ACL, it should be marked with dscp cs1. And if the incoming packet didn't match any ACL, it's dscp value remains as it is.

so having said that, and done a little reading, wonder if this is what i should be doing:

policy-map Outbound-QOS

class CRITICAL

set dscp af31

class SCAVENGER

set

dscp cs1

class-map match-any CRITICAL

match access-group name CRITICAL_DATA

class-map match-any SCAVENGER

match access-group name SCAVENGER

and the ACL remains as the original ACL shown in my attachment. By doing it this way, do you feel i have the correct setting to mark incoming traffic with af31, if it matches ACL CRITICAL_DATA, or with dscp cs1 if it matches ACL  SCAVENGER?

and all other incoming packets make no changes to thier dscp value, i.e. remain as they are.

thanks again. you've really provided some very good information and i'm grateful for your help

regards,

Ed

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Oops!  I just noticed in your attachment, your inbound policy and outbound policy are named the same.  I.e:

policy-map Outbound-QOS

class VOICE

set precedence 5

interface FastEthernet0/1

service-policy input Outbound-QOS

policy-map Outbound-QOS

class VOICE

priority percent 25

interface Serial0/0/0

service-policy output Outbound-QOS

I assume your ingress policy was meant/is Inbound-QOS?

Yes, you can additionally set DSCP markings in an outbound policy (if I remember correctly, a feature added in later CBWFQ; although not recently).  If you can and do do this, you then often don't need an ingress policy to mark.

Also if you do this, to preserve original markings, you wouldn't want to mark in egress default class because then already marked traffic like AF31 and CS1 would also be processed through the default class.  So, again, if you specific ACLs match both specific IP addresses/ports or markings of the class, you should be good.

In other words, to recap, you eliminate your ingress policy, add set DSCP statements to your egress policy and use the DSCP ACEs in your ACLs (as previouslly discussed).

I often recommend against using WRED (as in your egress default-class) except for TCP like traffic, and even then, only with a real understanding how to use it (as the default values are often far from optimal).

With all that said, I don't believe 2960s actually support egress service-policies.  For most small switches, you need an ingress policy to mark packets if necessary and then map markings to hardware egress queues which have their own set of configuration options.  There might also be some additional limitations because of the IOS feature set you're using, LANBASE.

Sorry I didn't notice this earier, I focused too much on CBWFQ features rather than the platform features.

Hi Joseph,

Sorry delay in replying. Agreed, and confirmed that the C2960 does not appear to allow egress service policy settings. At least not with the code we are running.

Also, it's my fault about the confusion in using service policy with name 'Outbound' when i am actually applying it for inbound traffic on the switch.

I've attached a visio with some details to help better explain. I believe you have helped in answering my questions though. My main objective was to find a way to mark traffic we deemed as critical with dscp af31, or traffic we deemed as scavenger with dscp cs1. All other traffic should traverse as marked coming into the switch. FYI for voice, the user pc group policy setup marks Lync voice traffic and control, at the pc. Video is included only as for future requirements, but not actually in use today.

if  you believe i've achieved this with the config samples in this visio attachment, let me know.

ideally, i'd love to ensure that the switch deals with forwarding voice and critical data packets to the router before best effort (or def) and scavenger traffic, on the uplink between sw and router. Not sure if that is achieved in this config or not.

Very much appreciate your help and guidance.

regards,

Ed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco