cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3560X with IP services IP Multicast-routing command not found. Can run IP Multicast-routing distributed

Scott.Martinsen
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All!

We have a Cisco 3560X switch running iOS version 15.2. IP services activated on it. When I go into Conf t and run "IP multicast-routing I get a command not found. I can run IP multicast-routing distributed. Is there a difference in these two commands? Is IP Multicast-routing distributed just the flavor that 3560X's run? When I do a IP ? I see the IP multicast-routing command.

On another note, this switch was running IP Base. I saw that there was a "permanent right to use" license for IP services and activated that on the switch. I have done multiple reloads after that and verified that it is running IP services. I've also tried to verify by looking at our EIGRP config, which after configuring after IP services no longer says "stub routing connected summary."

Thanks for the assistance!

-Scott

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Scott.Martinsen ,

if you have entered

ip multicast-.routing distributed

you are fine and the good sign is that you could configure PIM under an SVI forget about ip multicast routing you don't need it it is covered by the command above with the distributed final keyword.

Of course to see multicast routing in action you need a source in VLAN X and a receiver in VLAN Y in both you enable ip pim sparse-dense mode.

To see PIM neighbors you would need another switch or router, multicast capable.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @Scott.Martinsen ,

try to go on and configure PIM on SVI interfaces using sparse mode or sparse-dense mode .

Then use

show ip mroute

show ip mroute active

show ip igmp groups

As you can see someone had the opposite problem on Catalyst C3850

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/distributed-multicast-routing-command-not-working-on-catalyst/m-p/2547140

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hey Giuseppe!

Appreciate the quick response. I configured sparse-dense-mode on one of our SVI's. That was successful, but if I try running IP multicast-routing I'm still getting a command not found. If I run Show IP multicast routing is disabled.

I ran the three commands you asked me to use. As the switch is not on the network and I just am connected with a serial cable those commands are not providing any information. 

Thanks again!

-Scott

Hello @Scott.Martinsen ,

if you have entered

ip multicast-.routing distributed

you are fine and the good sign is that you could configure PIM under an SVI forget about ip multicast routing you don't need it it is covered by the command above with the distributed final keyword.

Of course to see multicast routing in action you need a source in VLAN X and a receiver in VLAN Y in both you enable ip pim sparse-dense mode.

To see PIM neighbors you would need another switch or router, multicast capable.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hey Giuesppe!

Good to know about the ip multicast-routing distributed command! What is odd is when I configured the SVI with PIM sparse-dense-mode I did not have ip multicast-routing distributed turned on on the switch either. I will go ahead and enable it though. Once we get the switch in line on the network we can test that it can see our core switch, which will also have PIM sparse-dense-mode configured on it's corresponding SVI, like others locations our network :).

If you don't mind me taking a little more of your time, would you mind explaining the difference to me of IP multicast-routing vs. IP multicast-routing distributed? My understanding was that distributed is used more for aggregate switches, but I very well must not be understanding!

Thanks again for your time and assistance!

-Scott

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card