cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3620 and Internet access

raymondwrio
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 3620 router and I am trying to get internet access. My isp is comcast. All modem lights seem to be operational. But I do not have internet access. I can ping anything other then the router and I am on a home network.

I have attached a config file. Please note I am a novice with cisco routers.

47 Replies 47

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

you've got no default route on the router, is your modem in bridged mode because you put a public IP on your interface facing the modem ? or is it also routing?

in first case then ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is ISP default gateway

in second case then ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the ip address of the modem and change the ip address on the interface of the router or let the router get its ip address and default route from the modem with the command  ip address dhcp

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Alain,

Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned I'm a novice, so I am not sure were to make these chances.

Where you state first and second case do I change them under the inter e0/0 and e0/1 or enter them under the ip domain-name XXYYZZ.com section?

And I'm not sure about the bridged or routing question.

Ray

Hi,

the default route is configured in global config mode.

were you connected to this modem before connecting the router? Is this ADSL or Cable modem ?

Regards.

Alain

Its a cable modem.

were you connected to this modem before connecting the router? No, I edit and save my config and reboot the router and connect to the modem.

I added in the ip address to the modem, for the second case. Still no internet.

The ISP default gateway I can not find.

OK I found what I needed and still no internet access.

Hi,

can you do this:

enable

config t

access-list 199 permit icmp any any

logging buffered debug

logging buffered 10000

no service timestamp debug

do debug ip pack detail 199

do debug arp

do ping 8.8.8.8 rep 2

do sh log

Post the output here.

Regards.

Alain

Alain,

When I type in do debug ip pack detail 199 I get invalid input at the do debug.

When I type do ? all I get back is <0-9>.<0-9> ver number. I guess my IOS does not support this function.

My IOS version is 12.2<13b>M2

Ray

Hi,

so go back int0  privileged mode( ctrl Z) and type the corresponding command without the do keyword.

Regards.

Alain.

Sorry to ask this one, but what is the command to copy the log file?

Hi,

just type sh log in privileged mode and copy-paste the output.

Regards.

Alain

OK, I have attached the log file and an update config file.

Hi,

I think you should try this config:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk86/tk89/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094be1.shtml

get rid of your   static default routes then use this config and let us know if you can ping 8.8.8.8 from the router then try from the PC and finally test a ping to www.google.com from the host.

Regards.

Alain

Alain,

Can I just copy that config to my router or just edit my config?

I edited the config file to duplicate as much as I could. I changed the two name servers, but still used the internal range of 192.168.3.x. I removed the static routes as you mentioned. Saved and rebooted router and all pings failed both from the router and pc.

From the pc the ping returns"Reply from 192.168.3.1: Destination host unreachable." when I ping 8.8.8.8. And from the router it also fils when I ping any of the name servers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card