Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750 stack replace faulty switch

bapatsubodh
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Faulty 3750 switch was removed from the stack. and then it was showing the removed switch as provisioned switch.

Switch#  Role      Mac Address     Priority     State

--------------------------------------------------------

*2       Master    001a.6c52.7100     1         Ready

4       Slave     0000.0000.0000     0         Provisioned ----------------> failed member

5       Slave     001a.6c52.7280     1         Ready

Then priority of the Master switch was configured manully to 15. Then the same exact switch with the exact code was added to stack.

The new added switch didn't take the provisioned switch configuration.  Insted it defaulted to the lowest member available in the stack that was not used in this case switch 1.

Not only that it is showing priority as 15 even though it was not configured. And the original master switch is now showing as slave member.

here is the show switch output

1#show switch

Current

Switch#  Role      Mac Address     Priority     State

--------------------------------------------------------

*1       Master    0014.a8c2.0380     15        Ready ---------------------> this new switch became master.

2       Slave     001a.6c52.7100     15        Ready -----------------> original master also configured priority 15

4       Slave     0000.0000.0000     0         Provisioned

5       Slave     001a.6c52.7280     1         Ready

Do we need any additional command so that the added new member will get the provisioned configuration?

Something like "new switch"--------------->"u r assigned to provisioned switch 4 with the configuration"

In case if the switch reboots and the master changes will it cause any problem in the switch configuration?

Please share the experience.

Cheers!

-Subodh

5 Replies 5

Thanks Edison.

I understand the document. As on now stack is looking stable and working fine.

But I am still not very clear about how to add a new switch in the stack.

The configuration of this new switch is already present in the existing stack and it is shown as "provisioned" in the show switch command output.

Now what is the pre-requsite on the new switch before this can be added in the stack so that it will pick up the configuration that is already available in the stacked switch. Switch model and the IOS code is same.

I refered to this link table 5.1. First line item is tihs table

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_25_sec/configuration/guide/swstack.html#wp1178950

1. If  the stack member number of the provisioned switch matches the stack  member number in the provisioned configuration on the stack ......

How do we match the new switch number to that of the what is configured in the stack.  In our case it was 4.

What was that needed on the new switch before it was added in the stack so that it would have taken the number 4 as member and get the configuration for number 4. 

Please share the experience.

Thanks!

Subodh

You can renumber the switch which is explained on the posted URL.

The configuration is held by the stack master and the new switch will automatically get the port assignment as long as the switch number matches.

Exactly,

I tried to renumber the switch

switch 1 renumber 4. Expecting that the new switch 1 will move to switch 4 and will take the corresponing configuration.

Didn't work.

Finally I copied all the configuration from switch 4 to switch 1 by replacing the ports from 4 to 1.

Not sure what is missing here. I may need to repeat the same process for another time.  Hope that will work as expected.

Thanks,

Subodh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: