cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750 Switches

Doug65
Level 1
Level 1

I recently began repurposing some older working Cisco 3750G switches that have been sitting around a while. I performed factory resets on them and then downloaded the most recent IOS version 12.2 (55) SE12 and updated it successfully on all 10 switches.

They are all working perfectly from everything I can tell, however when I can them using Cisco Network Assistant everyone of them show as being stacked? What I mean to elaborate, when scanned the device name if EFB-X66, yet when CNA scans all of them and finds them it reports back as 2 devices, EFB-X66 and then nested underneath it, it shows EFB-X66-1.

It doesn't show stacked from everything I can see...

The show ver command shows the below...

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image
------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------
*    1 28    WS-C3750G-24TS-1U  12.2(55)SE12          C3750-IPBASEK9-M

Also when I look at the configuration, it only shows 1 switch...

!
no aaa new-model
switch 1 provision ws-c3750g-24ts-1u
system mtu routing 1500
no ip domain-lookup
ip domain-name EFB
!

I have tried numerous things and nothing seems to help them show up as a single device like the Cisco 2960 swites that are intermixed on this small isolated network.

Anyone ever see this before?

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I wouldn't trust CNA.

I do hear folks speak of that. Thanks.

Smooth Operator
Level 1
Level 1
I'm studying for my CCNA S&R and don't think I fully understand the issue; however are you trying to stack multiple switches together as one using StackWise switch stacking?

I agree with Dennis.
CCNA will not cover "how to use CNA" in the exams. Everything is CLI.

Hi.. thanks for the reply. No I am not trying to connect multiple switches together.

I have been tasked with managing a small network that consists of a cisco 2951 router, 10 cisco 2960 switches, 6 cisco 3750 switches, and 28 cisco AIR-CAP1602I WAPs.

The small utility, Cisco Network Assistant, which for me works rather well in just looking at whats out there Topography wise on this small network. Everything appears to be working normally with all the switches, it is just that when scanning the network and creating the community with the CNA, all of the 2960's are detected as a single switches such as seen in picture #1 below and they show up apparently normal as stack setting options are not available on them when right clicked.

1.jpg

However the 3750's each one when placed on the network, scanned and added to the community, always for some reason shows up as the switch itself, then nested right under it is another switch by the same name, except it has the switch name+1 as seen below, plus there are stack settings available when you right click on the 3750.

2.jpg

Notice how each 3750 above shows up as itself, with a duplicate right beneath it with a -1. Example EFB-X64, then

EFB-X64-1 right below it. None of the 2960's show up in that manner which also have the same stacking capabilities.

It doesn't effect functionality, just an annoyance that I may just have to live with when just looking at the Topology I guess.

Thanks Doug

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

dont use CNA mate, you best learn it through CLI, as CNA is very limited.

do  a sh switch and see if indeed it has master/slave. also if you dont connect them thru stack cable, there cant be no stack.

cheers

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Hi Thanks for the suggestion. Here are the results..

3.jpg

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card