Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco 3850 stack switch member in initialization stage stuck

Pawan Raut
Level 4
Level 4

Hi I have 5 new 3850 switches of same IOS 

I stacked them and when power on one by one only master switch is in Ready status and rest four switches are stuck in initialization stage 

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What is the exact IOS version is the switch running?

I'm having the same/similar issue.

In my case, top/master switch is Denali version 16.3.6, and all member switches being added are also Denali version 16.3.6.  Trying to configure new 5-switch stack, but some switches are stuck in switch state "INITIALIZING" and others don't even add because they are booting up to ROMMOM switch: prompt.

Started over, plugging in one by one, got up to three total switches connected.

#show switch displays all three, but one is in initializing.  There is no console logging indicating the switch is being added to the stack.

Switch#show switch

Switch#     Role          Mac Address     Priority     H/W Version     Current State
------------------------------------------------------------
*1            Active            [omitted]            15             V06                Ready
2             Standby         [omitted]              1             V06                 Ready
3             Member         [omitted]              1             V06                 Initializing

#show version does not show the third switch.

Switch          Ports       Model                      SW Version            SW Image                           Mode
------         -----      -----                       ----------           ----------                         ----
* 1                 56        WS-C3850-48U         16.3.6           CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9      INSTALL
  2                  56        WS-C3850-48U         16.3.6           CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9     INSTALL

Edit: Note - they are all the same license version of lanbase and same model (3850-48U-L)

Does anyone have any experience resolving such an issue?

OK, well I think I solved the problem.

I booted the third switch up by itself, not as part of the stack.

I noticed it had an nvram initialization failure:

% failed to initialize nvram
% attempting to recover from backup

%INIT: waited 0 seconds for NVRAM to be available

*Sep 14 18:38:13.374: %SMART_LIC-6-AGENT_READY: Smart Agent for Licensing is initialized
*Sep 14 18:38:13.948: %IOSXE_RP_NV-3-NV_ACCESS_FAIL: Initial read of NVRAM contents failed

Researched the error code (IOSXE_RP_NV-3-NV_ACCESS_FAIL)

Found in Cisco Bug Search tool for bug of version 16.1.1 (bug CSCux96301)

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCux96301/?rfs=iqvred

A similar bug for 16.6.1 (bug CSCvg33382) was also found with same solution as for 16.1.1 bug.

https://bst.cloudapps.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvg33382/?rfs=iqvred

WORK AROUND/SOLUTION:  I issued a wr mem (or copy run start) on the switch, then powered it down, cabled it to the stack, powered it on and it added to the stack successfully.

*Sep 14 19:30:28.004: %STACKMGR-6-SWITCH_ADDED:Switch 3 R0/0: stack_mgr: Switch 3 has been added to the stack.
*Sep 14 19:30:28.004: %STACKMGR-6-SWITCH_ADDED:Switch 3 R0/0: stack_mgr: Switch 3 has been added to the stack.
Switch#show switch
Switch/Stack Mac Address : [omitted] - Local Mac Address
Mac persistency wait time: Indefinite
                                                                                                          H/W             Current
Switch#          Role             Mac Address              Priority                  Version            State
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*1                 Active             [omitted]                    15                        V06                  Ready
 2                 Standby           [omitted]                     1                         V06                 Ready
 3                 Member           [omitted]                     1                         V06                 Ready

Switch#show version

... [rest of output omitted]  ...

Switch     Ports       Model                       SW Version      SW Image                                  Mode
------     -----     -----                        ----------     ----------                                 ----
* 1            56       WS-C3850-48U             16.3.6         CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9      INSTALL
 2              56       WS-C3850-48U             16.3.6        CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9      INSTALL
 3              56       WS-C3850-48U             16.3.6        CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9      INSTALL

I had the same issue on a 3 switch stack. Workaround works!

I just want to add make sure you have  software auto-upgrade enable on your stack before adding any other switch.

Thanks!

Hi All,

That's good to know that your issue has been solved, I'm just updating the post for others.

Once the newly joined member is fully booted, you see that a mismatch is detected or any member switch stuck in initialization:

3850-Stack#
show switch

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 0c27.24cf.ab80 - Local Mac Address
Mac persistency wait time: Indefinite
                                             H/W   Current
Switch#   Role    Mac Address     Priority Version  State
------------------------------------------------------------
*1       Active   0c27.24cf.ab80     14     B0      Ready             
2       Standby  f41f.c238.a800     13     B0      Ready             
3       Member   b4e9.b0d3.6600     12     0       V-Mismatch

Enable Auto-Upgrade Feature

In Global Configuration mode, enter the software auto-upgrade enable command. This enables the feature for any new switches that join the stack.

3850-Stack(config)

#
software auto-upgrade enable

3850-Stack(config)

#
end

You must reload the newly added switch only; a full stack reload is not necessary. In this case, the newly added switch is switch 3, so the reload slot 3 command is entered. 

Tip: The slot mentioned in these commands designates the switch in the stack (slot 1 = switch 1).

3850-Stack#

reload slot 3

Proceed with reload?

[confirm]

Regards,

Tayyab

*** Rate the post if it helpful to you***

*** Please rate all helpful responses and mark solutions***

Solved!

*** Please rate all helpful responses and mark solutions***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: