Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4506 with WS-X4648-RJ45V+E line card

shabeebmohammed
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

Im using 4500 along with WS-X4648-RJ45V+E (Gigabit Ethernet) modules. We have connected 10MB and 100MB printers to it. They are not working with default configuration. But on giving each interface "speed auto 10 100" it works fine. It stil doesnt even work with "speed auto 10 100 1000". When we connect these device to a 3560G with default configurations it works alright.

The customer wants the all the devices (10MB/100MB/1Gig) to auto negotiate i.e. with default config, and work automatically as they have purchased modules supporting Gig ports.

Customer is asking for a explanation for this behaviour and solution for making 10/100MB devices work under auto mode.. Please help me out.

Regards

Shabeeb

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can't say I have ever seen that. Must be something with the printers themselves. How are the printers setup ?  Are they setup as auto  or hardcoded ?

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Please double check that you are running the correct IOS version on the supervisor module.

Consider upgrading to the latest version.

Also check for potential cabling issues. There is a lot which can be wrong in a UTP cabling system.

Is the wiring cabinet grounded properly?

Does a printer still not work when connecting it directly to the switch?

regards,

Leo

Thanks a lot for the reply..

The IOS Versions are upto date.

The Cables being used are CAT 5E. and the grounding of the cabinets are secure.

I am currently monitoring the Switch by connecting the Printer directly to it.

Will keep you updated.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can't say I have ever seen that. Must be something with the printers themselves. How are the printers setup ?  Are they setup as auto  or hardcoded ?

robert.horrigan
Level 2
Level 2

Are you using a macro?  Make sure your printers are set auto then as a test default interface gx/x, int gx/x, swit acc vlan x, no shut.  Then apply the output of the show int gx/x if it is still not working.

Hey,

Here we have 2 types of printers. One type supports only 10Mbps (label printers) and the other support only upto 100Mbps (normal printers). They are all auto.

The problem im facing is that each port (gig) doesnt auto negotiate and make these devices active... im only facing this with 4500.. 3560 doesnt have this problem.. This is a very bizzare and confusing issue..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card