Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 6880-X VSS Upgrade procedure

Nagra_net
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two Catalyst 6880-X in a VSS pair that I need to upgrade to one of the suggested release. I don't have any FEX attached. I'm currently running version 15.1(2)SY6 and would need to go to either 15.2.1-SY6 or 15.5.1-SY1. 

I have a maintenance window to do this upgrade this weekend, but I still need to minimize downtime/impact as much as possible.

The documentation I found is a bit confusing, it mentions ISSU and eFSU (enhanced Fast Software Upgrade). I'm not sure what the difference is between the two. I found a compatibility matrix that shows the different minor versions in the same major version and if they are compatible for ISSU/eFSU, but no indication anywhere if you can do a hit-less or minimal downtime upgrade between major versions.

Can someone confirm what the best way to upgrade this pair of switches is to minimize downtime?

Also, is there something that would make it better to go to one version or the other (15.2 or 15.5)?

Thank you,

Luke

36 Replies 36

The "system" had no downtime when I run "redundancy reload peer". The standby unit had a downtime for about 10 minutes.

We have 2 pc of 6880-X.

sorry, Martin so you meaning 2 chassis and each chassis with 1 PFC (routing engine)?

Yes, 2 chassis and each chassis with 1 PFC (routing engine)

*CORRECTION*
Hello Martin
sorry to keep you busy, so is that you have 2 6880 chassis and each chassis with single Supervisor Engine?

Yes, 2 6880 chassis and each chassis with single Supervisor Engine.

Do you have Top-Of-Racks 6800IAs? I intend to upgrade my 6880-Xs in a couple weeks or so and I expect an outage since our 6800IAs will need to go through a reboot once the new update is pushed down from the host switch(s). So again, a system no downtime using "redundancy reload peer" may indeed work for the host pair but regardless if you have 6800IA attached, downtime is unavoidable. Anyone, correct em if I'm wrong...

Hello Wilkins
I do not have 6800IA just 6807..

OK, than you just have the chassis. I have 6800IAs connected to our chassis. They operate as FEXs, similar to NX-OS. From what I've researched and confirmed with TAC, they will indeed reboot once you push the update from the chassis to them. Thus, temporarily causing an outage since in our case, we have servers connected to them.

yes and I am just waiting the experts to comment
1) if services will be interrupted on Standby line card connection (I have only one Supervisor Engine on each chassis) when I do “redundancy reload peer”
2) if services will be interrupted (on both) when I do “redundancy force-switchover”

Hi Luke,

how was your upgrade ? Did you need to upgrade the firmware before the IOS or could you go from 15.2 to 15.5 with no problems?

Best

Alessio

Hello Leo,

I had a question regarding your process for upgrading the IOS on the Cisco 6840-X VSS. Specifically Step #8. After steps 1-7 are completed, what do you recommend for reboot? I'm reading several different commands, some of which reboot one chassis at a time and then Redundancy reload shelf which will reload then entire VSS at once?

Can you clarify which command to run to reboot?

Thanks,

Shameer

Mohsin Alam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Redundancy reload shelf works on 4500

reload works for 6500 ( both chassis reload ) 

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##

shamg1974
Level 1
Level 1

Asking the group...Once boot variable is changed, config-register is changed, config is saved and it is time to reboot --> should I just reboot the entire VSS (both chassis') with redundancy reload shelf, or one at a time?

Thanks,
Shameer

If you reboot one by one, then you can retain some of the line card operating in one chassis
I was reboot one by one, but found that the up time is really long, , after the switch is up, then it will check all line card one by one, also UPGRADE them ONE by ONE
If you working with routing / other function, make sure the “standby HOT” before reboot another one. I tried to reboot when “STANDBY WARM” and that actually routing down again and need to wait another 10 mins
Peer Processor Information :
----------------------------
Standby Location = slot 1/3
Current Software state = STANDBY HOT <--
If downtime is allowed, I would suggested you close your eyes to reboot both at once.

Thanks Perkin. I have a scheduled maintenance window, so downtime is allowed. So you recommend just reloading both chassis at once via "redundancy reload shelf", correct?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card