Cisco 9200 Stack-port DOWN

fgasimzade
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

We have a pair of Cisco 9200L in a stack. Ports 2/1 and 1/2 are showing DOWN

I replaced the cable, but it is still DOWN

SWH_STACK_02#sh switch stack-ports sum
Sw#/Port# Port Status Neighbor Cable Length Link OK Link Active Sync OK #Changes to LinkOK In Loopback
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/1                  OK         2                   50cm          Yes         Yes           Yes         2                               No
1/2               DOWN NONE                 50cm          Yes          No           Yes         0                               No
2/1               DOWN NONE                 50cm          Yes          No           Yes         0                               No
2/2                  OK         1                   50cm          Yes         Yes           Yes         1                               No

What confuses me is that Link Status is OK, and it can detect the length of the cable, but Link Active is NO

Is it possible that the stack-port is disabled?

When I enter switch 2 stack port 1 enable I get a message:

WARNING: Enabling the switch port may result in a configuration change for the stack. Do you want to continue?[y/n]?

I did not continue, since I am sure it will not reset the configuration, will it?

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

According to below guide, this should not reset the configurations. you can proceed. but always keep backups and maintenance window if you are not sure what you will get through...

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3.2_0_se/multibook/configuration_guide/b_consolidated_config_guide_3850_chapter_01100101.html

Good luck

mark this as answer and rate if this solved your concern

KB

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

View solution in original post

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You should be able to enable that port without affecting the configuration because the other cable (1/1 to 2/2) is connected and working.

If the switch is in production, do the config change in a maintenance window. If enabling the port does not resolve the issue, I suggest you open a ticket with TAC, as it may be a bug in the IOS you are running.

See table-3 in this link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9200/software/release/16-10/configuration_guide/stck_mgr_ha/b_1610_stck_mgr_ha_9200_cg/managing_switch_stacks.html

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hi,

According to below guide, this should not reset the configurations. you can proceed. but always keep backups and maintenance window if you are not sure what you will get through...

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3.2_0_se/multibook/configuration_guide/b_consolidated_config_guide_3850_chapter_01100101.html

Good luck

mark this as answer and rate if this solved your concern

KB

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

You should be able to enable that port without affecting the configuration because the other cable (1/1 to 2/2) is connected and working.

If the switch is in production, do the config change in a maintenance window. If enabling the port does not resolve the issue, I suggest you open a ticket with TAC, as it may be a bug in the IOS you are running.

See table-3 in this link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9200/software/release/16-10/configuration_guide/stck_mgr_ha/b_1610_stck_mgr_ha_9200_cg/managing_switch_stacks.html

HTH

Hi,

A question, did you manage to solve the problem? what is the fault? I have the same problem. I hope I can answer.

Greetings.

Hello Daniel,

I ended up contacting TAC and eventually replacing the switch, since stack modules were unpluggable

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card