cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9300 password recovery

Ahoysoy
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to disable password recovery on a cisco 9300 switch, using the popular rommon method.

I use the command (config)#no service password-recovery 

The following message then pops up;

"Password recovery disable mode is not supported by the current ROMMON.
Please upgrade the ROMMON if you want to use this feature".

Has anyone had any experience of this, or knows how to disable password recovery?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I thing the phrase on ROMMON upgrade is misleading! 
You may think it says a newer version will support the option, but it really says the current version does NOT support the command.

the Security Configuration Guide uses the command: system disable password recovery switch all
this link Cisco – IOS XE Password Recovery on Catalyst 3850 mentions two boot variables (may work on 9300?):
Switch: SWITCH_DISABLE_PASSWORD_RECOVERY=1
Switch: SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=0

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Ahoysoy wrote:

I am trying to disable password recovery on a cisco 9300 switch

Why would you want to do that?

What happens if you disable password recovery and then a disgruntled staff locks everyone out?  

We routinely use it for fully managed CPE because if somebody (unauthorised) on the customer premises tries to access the device we'd rather have the config wiped than let them get access to confidential information in the device configs (that can include VPN keys, SNMP communities, management IPs etc etc) 

It's a required security feature.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- What about the suggesting-message and or are there more recent ROMMON-versions available for your platform ?

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the verison of code you running, why you would like to disable and you understand the implication.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Ahoysoy
Level 1
Level 1

we use radius so we don't need password recovery.

using cisco ios-xe 16.12.03a

not sure how to check rommon version or how to update it

I thing the phrase on ROMMON upgrade is misleading! 
You may think it says a newer version will support the option, but it really says the current version does NOT support the command.

the Security Configuration Guide uses the command: system disable password recovery switch all
this link Cisco – IOS XE Password Recovery on Catalyst 3850 mentions two boot variables (may work on 9300?):
Switch: SWITCH_DISABLE_PASSWORD_RECOVERY=1
Switch: SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=0

Thanks for this, I shall give this a try and report back!

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are using Radius Fine, what happends if the Radius Fails or device moved to different network(where there is no radius available)

you can restrict users still you meet the secure boundaries and acceptable widely.

post show version

here is the release notes and limitaiton :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9400/software/release/16-12/release_notes/ol-16-12-9400.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Rich R
VIP
VIP

It's an old thread but this is now covered in https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/216850-configuration-register-equivalent-clis-i.html which recommends "system disable password recovery"
That works for a single switch and stackwise virtual.
On a traditional stack the command is "system disable password recovery switch all"

Note that unlike "service password recovery" this setting does not appear in the config.  The documentation says "This setting is saved in an area of the flash memory that is accessible by the boot loader and the Cisco IOS image, but is not a part of the file system and is not accessible by any user." but there doesn't seem to be any way to verify whether it's set or not (as far as I can tell anyway).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card