Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 9407 IOS upgrade

Jeza-925
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Cisco newbie here. I need some help about upgrading IOS on Cisco Catalyst 9407. We have two new chassis (c9400-sup-1xl with line card), they are still not connected with VSS, so they are two separated switches at the moment. They don't have any config as well. I received recommended IOS 16.9.5

Is it enough just to copy new IOS to bootflash, set boot statement command and reload the switch like with L2 equipment, or do I need to do anything else?

I read some documentation, but they seems to be for switches that are already in production.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Jeza-925 wrote:

Is it enough just to copy new IOS to bootflash, set boot statement command and reload the switch like with L2 equipment, or do I need to do anything else?

Read the Release Notes very, very carefully.  
The steps you've just mentioned is using the un-recommended method of upgrade called "Bundle Mode". 

The recommended method is called Install Mode.  Since the two chassis are not yet in VSS then the command needs to be entered in both chassis.  

Once the image has been successfully unpacked, the boot variable string will need to be changed to "packages.conf".

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I follow below post to upgrade :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/procedure-to-upgrade-ios-in-cisco-9407-running-svl-chassis/m-p/3918925

Since it is new one easy to upgrade before you put them in to Stackwise Virtual 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Jeza-925 wrote:

Read the Release Notes very, very carefully.  
The steps you've just mentioned is using the un-recommended method of upgrade called "Bundle Mode". 

The recommended method is called Install Mode.  Since the two chassis are not yet in VSS then the command needs to be entered in both chassis.  

Once the image has been successfully unpacked, the boot variable string will need to be changed to "packages.conf".

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replay. Both messages were really helpful.

@Leo LaohooI checked release notes and followed install mode like you said. Everything went ok.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card