Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3560 not boot

rjmontenegro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I have a Cisco Switch 3560 and not boot. The Leds: SYST, RPS, STAT, Duplx, Speed, PoE (all Leds) are always green and the POST test not run. With a serial cable connect, don't output everything for putty.

IOS: Version 12.2(35)SE5

Model: WS-C3560-24PS-S

Any ideas?

Thanks

27 Replies 27

Hmmmmmmm peculiar case

Was this switch working earlier before you power on ?

What made the switch to be rebooted ?

Is the switch well mounted on the rack ?

What changes were done to the switch before you decide to reboot ?

Hi Manjunath.

Yes, is a peculiar case!

The switch was work perfectely (well mounted on the rack) and the users told me who had not network in desktops. The switchs, before reboot, have all leds (uncluding the 24 copper ports) fixed green! For these reasen rebooted the router and take off more!

behavior after the reboot was what I described in posts above.

Thanks for help.

Hi all.

More ideas?

Thanks

Hi,

Please try to inspect the switch carefully. Verify if the Mode button is not stuck (you should hear and feel repeated clicks if you press the Mode button repeatedly). Also verify if there is no short circuit in any of the sockets - the wire contacts inside bent and/or touching each other. Verify the console port in the same way as well. You will probably need a good light and a magnifying glass.

Is there any change in the LED lights at all after powerup, i.e. do they blink perhaps once or so, or are they constantly lit from the very time the switch is plugged into power with absolutely no blinking whatsoever?

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter. Thanks for your reply.

I will inspect the switch so that said.

Does not exist any change in the LED lights at all after powerup. All are they constantly lit, after powerup.

Thanks,

Ricardo

Hi Peter.

I inspect the switch carefully and found nothing wrong. Button mode is ok.

More ideas?

Thanks

Ricardo,

I am very sorry but I've got no more ideas. The switch is probably fried. I am very sorry about that. Do you have an option of returning it and having it replaced?

Best regards,

Peter

I had this happen to me, the last thing I did was apply a VLAN ACL and that killed it.

Similar issue for me. I applied to "switchport trunk native vlan 192" from vlan 1 and lost it. Had to go power cycle the switch to revert config to last saved. But it never came back and now I have this same problem reported here. It does nothing at power on with console connected. no post or any syntax coming from the switch to console. Confirmed my console cable is good by connecting another switch. Tried the hold mode button on power and release and nothing happens. 

Aijaz Rehman
Level 1
Level 1

Well no boot means your have no output, if  SYST amber light is only blinking means your system light is on, this is usually cased by wrong configuration of VLAN's or sudden power shutdown. the solution is you need to heat up some chips below video will help you to go through the solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpeZEswrH-s

if you are reaching to a prompt ( SWITCH:) after pressing and releasing MODE button  then you need to try this ( but make sure you will loose all the data)

Reset a Cisco  Switch To Factory Default Settings

Step 1.

Connect up your console cable and power on the switch, whilst holding down the “mode” button:

Step 2.

Initialize the flash file system with the command: flash_init

Step 3.

Delete the config.text file from the flash directory:

switch: del flash:config.text

Are you sure you want to delete "flash:config.text" (y/n)?y

File "flash:config.text" deleted

Step 4.

Delete the vlan.dat file from the flash directory:

switch: del flash:vlan.dat

Are you sure you want to delete "vlan.dat" (y/n)?y

File "flash:vlan.dat" deleted

Step 5.

Reboot the switch and you’re done:

switch: boot

Thank you for this information. I already tossed the switch in the garbage, but now I know for next time.

Aijaz Rehman
Level 1
Level 1

power on switch press and release MODE button till you get SWITCH: then do the below

switch: flash_init

switch: load_helper

switch: Dir Flash:

switch: rename flash:config.text flash:config.old

switch: boot

Aijaz Rehman
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for reply

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card