cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 9500-32QC-E breakout cable 40G QSFP to 4x10GB SFP

CSS8270
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 40GB QSFP to 4x10GB SFP dac breakout cable which i want to use with cisco catalyst 9500-32QC switch.

Switch running on IOS XE software version 17.06.04 and IOS software [Bengaluru] catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT9k_IOSXE), version 17.6.4. But however when i type  "hw-module breakout" it showing error at breakout command. 

When I type the command in from the global configuration the only options I get are "hw-module slot" & "hw-module subslot". The switch is not running stackwise-virtual. Is there anything that I am missing? 

when i type the show interfaces status command, it shows the speed as 40G and detects the type of the cable too. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

CSS8270
Level 1
Level 1

I raised a case with Cisco regarding this issue and they mentioned that catalyst 9500-32CQ switch has no capability of breakout as its designed only to function as core or distribution switch not as edge. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi

Take a look on this guide

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/17-3/configuration_guide/int_hw/b_173_int_and_hw_9300_cg/configuring_interface_characteristics.html

"

Limitations for Breakout Interfaces

• Only the C9300-NM-2Q uplink module supports breakout cables. This module has two 40G slots with a QSFP+ connector in each slot.

• To enable breakout for dual mode QSFP breakout cables, the hw-module breakout module slot port port-range switch switch-num command must be configured on the two uplink ports of the switch. The range for the variables in the hw-module breakout module slot port port-range switch switch-num command are given below:

• slot — Slot number of port depending on the chassis model. This can be only 1.

• port-range — Single port or range of ports on which breakout is configured. The range is from 1 to 2.

• switch-num — Switch number in the stack. The range varies from 1 to 8.

See Configuring a Breakout Interface for the list of configurable interfaces."

9500-32QC.png

sometimes cisco doc. not so clear but here note I found about the breakout in 9500 series 

CSS8270
Level 1
Level 1

I raised a case with Cisco regarding this issue and they mentioned that catalyst 9500-32CQ switch has no capability of breakout as its designed only to function as core or distribution switch not as edge. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card