Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Standard for VLAN ID assignments

utstdavit
Level 1
Level 1

Source of this discussion...my Boss!

From my years of experience, I do not know of a set of vlan tag ids that are specific other than VLAN 1. Which in truth is more like an axiom in the industry. Cisco has release Validated designs that refer to how to handle and provision different types of traffic but I have not come accross were specifics point to a standard of vlan tags. However, I could be missing something.

Does anyone know of or has heard of such a document either Cisco or otherwise that recommends certain tags to be assigned to Data types, i.e. Data, Voice, Security IP cameras, Telepresence that comply or not with Medianet design?

2 Replies 2

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

"Does anyone know of or has heard of such a document either Cisco or  otherwise that recommends certain tags to be assigned to Data types"

VLAN tags are just the identifiers for traffic, they don't have any kind of ability to influence different kinds of traffic (voice, data, video)

The only recommendation I heard is to match the VLAN ID with the third octect of the ip address just for the admistrative purposes.

Siddhartha

this is purly a design thing and has nothing to do with the configuration and technolgy.

Just a name to remember which vlan is been used for which traffic.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card