Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VSS - Standby Configuration

CliveG
Beginner
Beginner

Hi

I have a network that has 2 x C6880X Switches in a VSS and this network must be up, always. A streaming environment. I am in the process of building a physical Lab to replicate the current live environment. I have one issue though, I need to be able to see the VSS configuration on the standby of the VSS. The person who built this is no longer employed and I have a three-fold problem:

1: When logged in via SSH we will only ever see the primary config. What I see as a VSS configuration does not look right (but yet works) and want to check from the console port. here is the VSS configuratiob from an SSH connection:

switch virtual domain 30
switch mode virtual
mac-address use-virtual

Because of the above, I need to see what is actually configured on both active and standby so I need to console into the standby. This brings problem number 2, as shown below:

2: When I type "enable" I get a response saying this is disabled on the standby - Is this automated when a VSS is configured or can I safely enable this to view the config?

Problem number 3 (and I am not sure if there is any way around this):

3: The enable password has not been written down anywhere in any of our keypass holders. It is configured as a 5 and not a 7 - I know with a 7 I can go online and get this reverse engineered. Can I do similar with a 5 level encrypted password?

Many thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
VIP Community Legend VIP Community Legend
VIP Community Legend

i would advise to build basic config and covert in to VSS and make config changes once VSS build :

i follow below document :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-knowledge-base/virtual-switching-system-vss-configuration-for-cisco-4500-series/ta-p/3147865

Note : Once VSS build they logically one, you can not make any config changes on the standby.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

balaji.bandi
VIP Community Legend VIP Community Legend
VIP Community Legend

i would advise to build basic config and covert in to VSS and make config changes once VSS build :

i follow below document :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-knowledge-base/virtual-switching-system-vss-configuration-for-cisco-4500-series/ta-p/3147865

Note : Once VSS build they logically one, you can not make any config changes on the standby.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers