Views
Helpful
Replies

clone configuration

eng_adel273
Level 1
Level 1

Dear sir

I have switch cisco 2960 , I need to clone everything from this switch to new switch same mode 2960

Please help how to finish this

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You can for instance export and import the current configuration using tftp or another transfer-protocol ; have a look here for guidelines : -> https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12-2_53_se/configuration/guide/2960scg/swiosfs.html#51335

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the aim of the clone? replacing the switch or adding a new switch to the network.

If replacing -  Personally i copy the configuration by issue command - show run (copy into notepad) - understand the config, paste only required information to the new Switch console.

If you adding the switch to the network - you may conflict information like IP address, STP, some other stuff you do not need to replicate to the new switch.,  - Personally, i copy the configuration by issue command - show run (copy into notepad)  - change the hostname/ IP address and STP config-if required so new switch not become root accidentally if your network running STP, make sure setup VTP status (as transparent or client based on the network)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Wassim Aouadi
Level 4
Level 4

I would also ask myself the question "am I going to need similar configuration blocks in the future, i.e are there going to be more of 2960 switches to implement?" If yes, then it would be better to prepare a configuration template (Word, Excel, etc) and populate it with whatever values you need: IP addresses, hostname, etc. It will save you a lot of time and error checking.

Regards,

Wassim

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card