cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

colour coding standards

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all, is there a standard what most people use for there colour of cat 5 cables, ie , crossovers, routers, clients etc ?

6 Replies 6

jackthumar
Level 1
Level 1

Hi carl,

yes, there is standard for crimping the cable.

The color code is

1 orange-white

2 orange

3 green-white

4 blue

5 green

6 blue-white

7 brown-white

8 brown

if you crimp both the ends of the cable in this fashion, then it is straight-through cable.

for cross-cable,

1---3

2---6

3---1

4---4

5---5

6---2

7---7

8---8.

rate helpfull posts

rgs,

jack

hi jack,

I think u slightly messed up 5 n 6..

5.Blue-white

6.green

This is TIA\EIA 568-B std.

For TIA\EIA 568-A std..

1.Green-white

2.Green

3.Orange-white

4.Blue

5.Blue-white

6.Orange

7.Brown-white

8.Brown

arun

Hi arun,

thanks for the info as you are right. blame it on my fast typing habit.

rgs,

jack

hi,

Yes these are industrial standards,but for security you can use your own color code!!!!

the coloring is not important in case of communication its the cabling of right cables at right pins on both sides!!!!!

follow the pin numbers provided above with your customise color code!!!!!

HTH,

regards,

shri :)

Hi all

sorry, I must be more clear, I did not mean the actual wiring of a cable, I mean what colour cables do people use, ie red cat5, blue cat 5 etc

thanks

Hey mate,

I have no idea if there are any standards out there and as long as it helps you know what's what I think that's all you can do. I've found the simpler the system the better so we just use the following:

Grey - Interconnecting Network devices (Router to switch, switch to switch, etc etc)

Green - Client machines/servers

Blue - Server iLo cards

I'd recommend using Cat6 cables now as the price has sufficiently come down to make it worthwhile - but that depends on what sort of network you have, speeds and all that kinda stuff.

Cheers,

Ant

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card