Views
Helpful
Replies

Command service unsupported-transceiver

marcio.tormente
Level 4
Level 4

Dear friend,

Anyone know something about this command:  service unsupported-transceiver?

I tryend do find informations about it, but I couldn´t find nothing in Cisco documentations.

I found this website: http://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical-knowledgebase/cisco-switches/866-cisco-switches-3rd-party-sfp.html, but I'm not sure if works or if there are any consequence.

Thanks

Marcio L. Tormente

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

This command has been deprecated in all the newer IOS versions.

HTH

Hi Reza,

Thanks for your support, do you know if are ther any command to replace?

Tks

Marcio

The command is still there but is hidden, just go to the interface
interface gi0/0/1
and write the line:

service unsupported-transceiver

and is accepted, not wait to see it with "?" mark or autocomplete.

I believe this is a global command, not an interface command.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Yes, it's undocumented as it's one of Cisco's "hidden" commands.

What it did on earlier IOSs, it allowed non-Cisco transceivers to be used. Without it, the IOS would disable the port if a non-Cisco transceiver was plugged into the port.

BTW, enabling non-Cisco transceivers doesn't guarantee they will work. Further, if you have problems with non-Cisco transceivers, Cisco TAC won't help resolve such problems until the non-Cisco transceiver is replaced with one of theirs.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI,

I found the document here: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/interfaces-modules/gbics/200296-Unsupported-GBIC-SFP-in-sub-module-of.html

But I know that some of the switches are supporting command under the interface level. I tried on nexus :).

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

neotheasset
Level 1
Level 1

the command is usable in global config mode. and still supported by newer version of IOS (tested on Cat3k_caa-Universalk16.12.5b)

You might also want to negate "errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid" if its configured in your environment.

Yuri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks, here there is a link which deal with this point.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/warranties/warranty-doc-c99-740959.html#_Toc81362533

Section 6 – Third party components

Cisco Guideline:

Third party components support

The Cisco guideline for support and warranty services for the use of third-party memory, cables, gigabit interface controllers (GBICs), filters, or other non-Cisco components is as follows:

When a customer reports a product fault or defect and Cisco believes the fault or defect can be traced to the use of third-party memory products, cables, GBIC's, filters, or other non-Cisco components by a customer or reseller, then, at Cisco's discretion, Cisco may withhold support under warranty or a Cisco support program such as SMART Net Total care service.

When a product fault or defect occurs in the network, and Cisco concludes that the fault or defect is not attributable to the use of third-party memory, cables, GBICs, filters, or other non-Cisco components installed by a customer or reseller, Cisco will continue to provide support for the affected product under warranty or covered by a Cisco support program.

The nature of the defect or error is the key to determining Cisco support obligations. Cisco also reserves the right to charge the customer for services provided to the customer when Cisco determines, after having provided such services, that the root cause of the defective product was caused by a third-party vendor supplied product.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card