cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure Process Switching

holeman4110
Level 1
Level 1

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-software-releases-120-mainline/47205-cef-whichpath.html

I found how to set Switching Method for CEF, Fast only on above doc.

For configure process Switching, should I set process switching for both inbound and outbound?

36 Replies 36

no ip route-cache 

no ip route-cache cef .. command not running on ISR4331

"no ip route-cache cef .. command not running on ISR4331"

I recall (???) some later routers don't allow you to disable CEF.

then how we can configure process switching 

You don't.  As I wrote earlier, we generally very much want to avoid it (as traditionally, it would slow throughput by about 10x - you might want to, again[?], review the Cisco router performance sheet I attached to one of my earlier posts).

However, that's doesn't necessarily mean that the device won't process switch when it must, just that we, effectively, cannot configure process switching for all traffic.

I further recall (?), Cisco's reason why you could not disable CEF (if in fact you cannot), was because CEF is now so integral to many other Cisco features.  (Personally, this somewhat reminds me of, years ago, with a new release of Windows, Microsoft stated it could not run without Internet Explorer.  [BTW, I'm not implying either Microsoft or Cisco are "fibbing", just that for many different reasons, they didn't see good reasons to do otherwise.  Again, for Cisco, generally everyone wants to avoid process switching, so why still allow a device to only use it?])

thanks for sharing this. I think my issue is different. I am getting ..without IPOPT alert on router 

BTW, forgot to mention/ask, you do realize "no ip route-cache cef" is an interface command?

yes interface command 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card