cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Dhcp

pswesonga22624
Level 1
Level 1

Ive tried to configure Dhcp on my Lan A computer by it keeps on failing can someone walk me through on what I should do

Router(config)#ip dhcp pool LanA

Router(dhcp-config)#network 1.1.1.0 255.255.255.0

Router(dhcp-config)#default-router 1.1.1.1

Router(dhcp-config)#EX

Router(config)#ip dhcp excluded-address 2.2.2.1

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You need to apply the below config on the router, - is your switch has DHCP-helper config? 

try below config : (thinking that your switch is layer 2) if this is layer 3 provide config of the switch also.

ip dhcp excluded-address 1.1.1.1
ip dhcp pool LanA
network 1.1.1.0 255.255.255.0
default-router 1.1.1.1

still not working post complete

show run from router and switch

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

post your zipped Packet Tracer project (.pkt) file.

If your switch that is attached to the 1.1.1.0 /24 network is running "ip routing" than you need the ip helper-address, but you should lay out your multilayer switch config and the router config so we can better see the situation.  Your pkt file is not compatible with my version of packet tracer, it is an older file.  Seeing the config of the router and the multilayer switch would definitely help us, but if the switch has routing enabled it definitely needs the ip helper-address to forward it to the dhcp server Router.

And why are you excluding an address whose network is not a part of the configuration, network 1.1.1.0 255.255.255.0 and ip dhcp excluded-address 2.2.2.1.  Of course this wouldn't affect the overall configuration other than it would never need to exclude that address from the subnet 1.1.1.0 /24

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card