cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring MTU on VPC

dbuckley77
Level 1
Level 1

We have a pair of Nexus 9ks and a pair of Nexus 3Ks that we are configuring two VPCs between.  There is one link between each 9K to each 3K that makes up the two different VPCs  The port-channel interfaces and physical interfaces on the 9Ks have an mtu of 9000 while there is no mtu vlaue shown on the port-channel interface on the 3K and the member physical interfaces are set to 1500. 

Does the MTU value on the 3K ohysical interfaces and port-channelinterface need to match for the VPC's to work correctly?  I don't actually see a way to configure it on the port-channel interface on the 3K switches.

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sometime the configuration per global or per interface basis

If you looking to use Jumbo frames, not set global configuration -  then prefer to setup manually on each interfaces required to meet the requirement, so it work as expected.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @dbuckley77 

it's generally recommended to ensure consistency in the MTU settings across the links participating in the vPC. Mismatched MTU settings can lead to issues with proper communication and may result in unexpected behavior.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/118994-config-nexus-00.html

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

dbuckley77
Level 1
Level 1

When I run the command show queuing interface on the physical interfaces of the 3k it says the mtu is 9000 (9000) configured but when I run sh int eth it says the mtu is 1500.  What is the reason for the difference and which value is the true mtu on the interface?

policy-map type network-qos jumbo
class type network-qos class-default
mtu 9000
system qos
service-policy type network-qos jumbo

This need to set mtu in N3K 

That's how to configure it but how do I verify what's actually set.  The command in the guide provided earlier says to use the sh queuing interface x/x.  I have run that on a number of interfaces and they all say HW MTU: 9000 (9000 configured) in the output

However when I do a sh int x/x it shows the mtu on the interfaces as 1500.

Before I start messing with the configs on the 3ks I want to verify what is actually set as the current mtu.  Is the sh queuing interface x/x command the definitive way to do that?

module-1# show hardware internal mac port 33 qos configuration | beg mtu

Queue and Check this also.

But to be honest' mtu in nexus is complex and headache some time.

Read guide we share and apply command.

Good luck 

MHM

Can I know the exact n3k platform you have?

Note:- some per qos and other per interface

The MTU has 2 parts, one is layer 2 and the other one is layer 3. If you want to see jumbo MTU on the layer-3 interface, you need to configure the second part. See below: 

Layer-2
policy-map type network-qos jumbo
class type network-qos class-default
mtu 9216

Layer-3
system qos
service-policy type network-qos jumbo

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card