Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Nexus 7000 vPC Peer Links and Links to the Core on a Single Module

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

In reference to:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/5_x/nx-os/interfaces/configuration/guide/if_vPC.html#wp1803985

In my situation I have a single 8-gig module in each Nexus7k. 10/1 and 10/2 are in PC100 peer-link. 10/3 connects to the core. 10/3 is a vPC102 on Nexus A and B.

Would it be more appropirated to use boolean AND or OR? Documentation states we should use OR, but I think AND makes more sense.

track 1 interface port-channel 100 line-protocol

track 2 interface ethernet10/3 line-protocol

!

track 10 list boolean AND

object 1

object 2

end

!

vpc domain 1

track 10

I don't want VPC failover to occur only if E10/3 core interface fails. If use "OR" as in documentation, that's what would happen. Not sure why you would want failover to happen in that case.
I only want failover when the entire module 10 fails so both PO100 and E10/3 would fail causing VPC domain to failover to the second peer. In other words, AND boolean would apply better?
The second clarification. I beleive I need this only one the primary VPC domain peer. I don't need this on the secondary VPC domain peer, correct?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Andrew Gossett
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Roman,

To achieve the behavior you described, you will want to use the OR statement as dictated in the configuration guide.  Since you are tracking link-status in each object, consider the link up as a boolean 1 and the link down as a boolean 0.  The tracking list triggers if it evaulates to 0.  Thus:

scenario 1:

object 1 is up, object 2 is up

OR    List = 1 OR 1 = 1

AND  List = 1 AND 1 = 1

#######################################

scenario 2:

object 1 is up, object 2 is down

OR    List = 1 OR 0 = 1

AND  List = 1 AND 0 = 0   <---- track list is triggered

scenario 3:

object 1 is down, object 2 is up

OR    List = 0 OR 1 = 1

AND  List = 0 AND 1 = 0  <----- track list is triggered

scenario 4:

object 1 is down, object 2 is down

OR    List = 0 OR 0 = 0    <------ track list is triggered

AND  List = 0 AND 0 = 0  <------ track list is triggered

If the desired behavior is to trigger the track list only when all links go down, then you will want to use the OR operator.  I hope this clarifies your question.

-Andy

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Andrew Gossett
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Roman,

To achieve the behavior you described, you will want to use the OR statement as dictated in the configuration guide.  Since you are tracking link-status in each object, consider the link up as a boolean 1 and the link down as a boolean 0.  The tracking list triggers if it evaulates to 0.  Thus:

scenario 1:

object 1 is up, object 2 is up

OR    List = 1 OR 1 = 1

AND  List = 1 AND 1 = 1

scenario 2:

object 1 is up, object 2 is down

OR    List = 1 OR 0 = 1

AND  List = 1 AND 0 = 0   <---- track list is triggered

scenario 3:

object 1 is down, object 2 is up

OR    List = 0 OR 1 = 1

AND  List = 0 AND 1 = 0  <----- track list is triggered

scenario 4:

object 1 is down, object 2 is down

OR    List = 0 OR 0 = 0    <------ track list is triggered

AND  List = 0 AND 0 = 0  <------ track list is triggered

If the desired behavior is to trigger the track list only when all links go down, then you will want to use the OR operator.  I hope this clarifies your question.

-Andy

Andrew, thank you, I get it now. I've been confusing it with "match-all" and "match-any" logic. I was seeing "boolean", but not thinking in "boolean". It makes sense now, I do need OR.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card